Graphics Electrical Hardware Engineer, Commercial Notebooks
The Business Notebook Group develops mobile computing products and solutions aimed at the Small / Medium Business (SMB) and large Commercial / Enterprise customers.
The notebook hardware development team is seeking a highly-motivated individual to join the Cross Platform and Electrical Engineering Team.
This team develops next generation notebook computers and mobile computing solutions. We are looking for an individual who has background in and is able to advance their expertise in the graphics subsystem, specifically DisplayPort 1.2/1.4, HDMI 1.4/2.0, VGA, Thunderbolt 3+, and PCIe Gen3 or MXM / add-in card designs.
- Work with the architecture and graphics hardware engineers in Houston to successfully develop the GPU subsystem on HP notebook designs, and resolve video interface issues found during and after product development.
- Work on, lead, and oversee GPU related board design, debug and qualification activities; coordinate between ODM, Graphics suppliers, and other HP internal teams.
- Debug/resolve graphics hardware related validation failures, through schematic and layout review, and through extensive use of test equipment such as oscilloscopes and protocol analyzers.
- Manage Graphic ASIC component suppliers & ODM suppliers' activities related to Graphics hardware development.
- Interface with board and ASIC component suppliers, including but not limited to Intel, AMD, NVidia, TI, Microchip, Parade, Pericom, Megachips, NXP, Analogix, and many more.
- Work with HP technical support teams (TCE) on customer quality issues related to the graphics hardware design.
- Will act as a team or project leader in the EE/HW area, providing direction for both ODM and HP team activities, while facilitating information validation and team decision-making processes.
- Select video signal conditioning and protocol translation components and commodities based on analysis of specifications and reliability.
- Apply developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex technical solutions, within the established business guidelines and recommend appropriate options for resolution.
- This person will need to work with a wide variety of component and subsystem suppliers. We develop products with partners from around the world, so the ability to work well in a geographically dispersed team comprised of individuals from a variety of companies and cultures is critical to success in this role.
- International travel to other HP technology centers such as Houston, TX and Shanghai, China might be required, based on the project requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's (undergraduate) degree, or Master's (graduate) degree in electrical or computer engineering.
- 6-8 years of experience in PC hardware/firmware development/testing methodologies with specific knowledge of discrete graphics architectures for PCs required.
Knowledge and Skills required:
- Experience with OrCAD Allegro and/or PCB Editor – able to modify system board layouts and make improvements to Type-3 and HDI (High Density Interconnect) board designs.
- Working experience in validation or design of discrete notebook graphics subsystems, including graphics motherboard-down layout and MXM or PCIe add-in card knowledge required.
- Requires strong working knowledge of high speed oscilloscopes, data and logic analyzers, and general electrical debug/root cause analysis skills, in addition to significant knowledge of modern Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Duties require extensive lab work for validation and debug of various display/video interfaces including DisplayPort/HDMI/MHL/VGA/Type-C DP alt mode.
- Candidates must have excellent organizational skills, professional oral and written communication skills, and a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-motivated team player with the ability to work in a customer oriented, fast-paced, and demanding environment with minimal supervision.
- Leadership qualities: Integrity, attention to detail, timeline sensitivity, goal oriented, motivator.
- Ability to interface with all levels within the development organization and
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top