Global Head of Software, Personal Systems
At HP, talent is our criteria. Join us in reinventing the standard for diversity and inclusion. Bring your awesomeness, and just be you!
HP's vision and promise is to engineer experiences that amaze our customers. With the heart, creativity, and energy of a startup, and the brain, muscles, and determination of a Fortune 100 corporation, we continue to deliver ground-breaking new technologies to build on our 70+ year legacy of innovation.
Over the last five years, HP has driven a massive turn-around of its Personal Systems business that has not only created a world-class portfolio of PCs, but has also helped to turn around the PC category. At HP, we are humbled by the response from customers that has put us in the #1 market position. Key to our success is our focus on experiences - it's in our brand promise and it's in our products. The core of great experiences is the software that helps customer get the most from their hardware. To deliver on this vision, HP seeks to hire a world-class software engineering leader to drive the vision and execution of this strategy. Given the importance of software, the Global Head of Software Engineering for Personal Systems is a direct report to the President of Personal Systems.
The Global Head of Software Engineering for Personal Systems must be a proven software leader whose capabilities combine running a large-scale team across multiple sites, a vision for architectures that deliver solutions that combined software and hardware, and hands-on technical problem solving skills.
- Leadership (above management) of a solid team of professionals. This leader must provide a common vision and clear direction for the team.
- Proven Communication Skills to land ideas:
- Up the organization - translate software opportunities and limitations into concepts that non-software people can understand
- With peers - clearly articulate what software can and can't solve
- With the team - establish a vision of how the technology we build translates into value at the core of HP
- Technical leadership to deeply understand the actual mechanics of large-scale software engineering practices that can scale across the organization. In addition, this leader must have a passion to remain current on new areas such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. This leader will shape how approaches and technologies fit into our technical roadmap.
- External Partnerships to help HP get the most out of key software partnerships including our work with Microsoft and Google. In this context, this leader must act as both engineer/architect level and the exec/business level to create outcomes.
- Internal Partnerships to find synergies across HP and beyond personal systems including 2D and 3D Print. This leader will also work with HP Labs on targeted areas of innovation.
- Site Leadership to drive engagement with employees at several engineering sites around the globe.
Education & Experience Required
- Undergraduate degree in engineering (ideally computer science or software engineering). A Masters in computer engineering and/or an MBA is a plus.
- 15+ years of software engineering management experience (or relevant experience). With 10+ years in management capacity
- Strong leadership skills, including coaching, team-building, and conflict resolution.
- Organizational and strategic management skills, including budget and business planning and forecasting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage human capital across multiple geographies and organizations to drive workforce development and achieve desired results.
- Experience with agile development methodologies like Scrum is a plus.
- Experience crafting and delivering executive presentations with ease and composure.
- Ability to structure ambiguous problems
Knowledge & Skills
- Be Visionary. Set the product vision and evangelize it ruthlessly to stakeholders across HP, including senior executives, partner product divisions, regional partners, marketing, finance and IT.
- Deliver Results. Drive decisions to, and lead your team to, ensure programs stay on schedule and launch. Obsess over data and results. Identify how to constantly define and measure success.
- Lead from the Front. Create a performance driven culture, while providing support, mentorship and guidance to your team. Manage all hiring, goal- setting and monitoring of annual performance plans and career development.
- Know your customer. Be deeply customer-curious. Gather formal insights regularly from our customers. Internalize the point of view of our customer and exhaustively represent her or his wants, needs and pain points. Lead the product and design teams to create world-class customer experiences rooted in insight.
- Drive Collaboration. Create a culture of collaboration and promote deep partnership between product management, design and engineering to create exceptional experiences for our customers. Be prepared to operate in a highly-matrixed organization with partners across HP.
- Think strategically, execute tactically. Have the ability to work at a strategic level with senior leaders and the will and want to roll up your sleeves and work tactically with individuals on your team to drive results.
- Crave ownership. You will be accountable for the success of your programs - don't expect someone else to make the tough decisions. Set clear expectations for your team and hold yourself and your team accountable to results.
- Attention to Detail. You will define the strategic direction of the product portfolio, while empowering your team to make daily decisions. See the link between the granular details and big picture.
- Inspire passion. Infuse your team with excitement and enthusiasm for creating high-fidelity work and whistling as they make it happen.
- Initiative. You are a doctor and not a patient. You crave solving tough problems without prescriptive advice on how to get things done.
- Know when to pivot. Expect setbacks and know how to redirect at times to align your team and drive forward.
- Advocate. Consistently represent the software agenda at the exec level
- Connecter. Take the time to create the software culture at HP by how you model behaviors for your team and your colleagues
- Focus on shipping products. Great results inspire great people.
- Constant communicator. Be visible and available to all levels of the organization.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top