Director of Design
HP’s Customer Experience & Portfolio Strategy (CEPS) group creates software that amplifies the value of every HP purchase by empowering customers with new and differentiated experiences. We are driving personal computing in new directions with a focus on customers and quality. Our group enables innovative PC features and experiences that others have not identified. We think ahead, strategize, create, test and make it happen.
Doing this well requires great design leadership. We are currently in search of a design director with 5-10 years of experience leading end-to-end experiences. The right candidate will help us better understand our customers, define strategy for PC experiences and guide teams through execution. You will use functional expertise, leadership and influencing skills to inspire the organization towards the future of computing.
As the senior leader for all facets of software design, you will own experience strategy as well as experience and visual design disciplines for all current and future products. You will also guide the general experience agenda on HP devices by working closely with HP industrial design and senior business leadership across the Personal Systems portfolio. Your will lead and develop a team of designers to deliver products on Windows, Android, iOS and beyond.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity of all kinds at HP. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
Responsibilities & Performance Profile
- Lead a team of 10+ designers on 4+ projects.
- Help us see the future. Champion user-centered design across Personal Systems with a strong sense of industry trends, thought leadership and functional excellence.
- Think big. Free yourself from today's constraints and market environment. Describe large, disruptive opportunities and collaborate with Product Management and business leaders to exploit them.
- Intuitively understand and drive experience strategy. Spend time and energy diffusing this knowledge.
- Be creative. Establish a high standard for CEPS.
- Lead reviews of product designs and experiences. Know how to tell stories and when to herd cats, while excelling at both simultaneously.
- Evangelize and communicate persuasively. Create concepts that are impossible to ignore. Use customer insights while also tapping into other biases, beliefs, and triggers to convince the powers that be to part with headcount, money, or other resources and then get out of the way.
- Prioritize incisively. Balance offensive and defensive projects appropriately. Channel multiple points of view.
- Support Scaled Agile development by keeping deliverables on time and on target. Scope work accurately.
- Execute. Grind it out. Do whatever is necessary to keep the organization focused and shipping.
- At least seven years of design experience.
- At least five years of successful experience managing design outcomes, people and strategy.
- A portfolio of inspiring, fresh and creative work.
- Fluency in creative and business languages alike.
- Veteran leadership and teamwork skills. Your peers are naturally drawn to you.
- Persuasive arguments and story-telling come naturally to you. You are a master craftsman, turning ideas into an inspiring pitch with ease.
- You are detail oriented, visually fluent, and naturally curious.
- You have executive presence without fear.
- You work well independently but prefer to be part of a team – instinctively knowing what must be done and when to take initiative.
- You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Your personal attributes include passion for contributing to team success, inspiring evangelist, impatient for results, mission-driven, and unquestioned ethics.
Back to top