Director of Cost Strategy
Leads a large or broad function/department within a multifaceted organization. Responsible for operational success, strategic alignment and integration of activities with other major organizational functions. Responsible for one or more recognized professional disciplines. Fully accountable for the success of the designated function or department. Influences strategy and sets policy and direction. Owns a significant number of measurable functional, operational and strategic goals or priorities. Assumes responsibility for the successful implementation of business plans in a defined area of responsibility. Contributes to the overall strategic definition of a function with strong business acumen. Acts as a key advisor to executive management in influencing the strategic direction of the business. Typically reports to EXEC3.
- Provides strategic advice to regional/Corporate Function departmental executive management regarding overall targeted growth, operation efficiency, and capital strategy initiatives.
- Builds financially sound, executable, data-driven business strategies that improve HP share holder value.
- Provides strategic advice to clarify, plan and monitor the growth of HP or business unit revenues and market share.
- Drives operational efficiency initiatives that improve HP profitability
- Applies financial rigor and acumen to all initiatives that lead executive and HP business teams to share holder value based decisions
- Design and development of business models, market strategies or M&A activities for organizational effectiveness.
- Develops growth strategies for area of responsibility.
- Leads strategy and leadership teams in developing key and or difficult acquisitions/growth transactions and strategies.
- Demonstrates thought leadership by coaching and advising EXEC3, EXEC2 and other company executives.
- Provides business rational and risk assessment for making HP investments in their area of focus.
- Builds relationship and provides guidance to industry, community, press as appropriate.
- Creates a performance driven culture that ensures HP has the best strategic planning team in the industry.
- Balances short term with long term strategies and resource investment.
- LeadsDrives high-impact organizational and operational planning initiatives, including M&A projects.
- Influences C-level executives on a wide range of business issues, including risk management and implementation tactics.
- Provides innovative thought leadership and shapes the knowledge base within area of expertise.
- Provides strong leadership, develops and sets individual and departmental team performance goals and manages/drives change.
Education and Experience Required:
- Management consulting experience highly desired.
- Prior corporate leadership.
- Achieved planned financial results at an organizational level.
- Acted as a senior manager in a global company responsible for operational efficiency.
- Exercised leadership on external business or industry boards.
- 17+ years total experience. Often 10+ years post-advanced degree experience leading highly visible deals and company financial improvement initiatives in management consulting, corporate strategy, investment banking, or market research.
- MBA highly desired, or advanced university degree. Bachelors degree required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strategic Planning & Implementation: Orchestrates the development of strategic plans that reflects HP's business strategy to advance market share/penetration and achieve profitable growth.
- Budget Management & Cost Optimization: Establishes tracks and enforces spending parameters to protect HP's business and assets, and ensures their effective engagement.
- P&L Management: Sets and manages the business investments and resource allocations essential to ensuring the financial growth & health of the corporation.
- Vertical Industry Acumen' Develops and exercises a profound understanding of business dynamics within area of control, as a basis for informed business decision making.
- Workforce Planning' Builds acquisition and development strategies targeted to ensuring workforce readiness, and market opportunity responsiveness.
- Execution Management' Collaborates effectively with HP BUs and value chain partners to ensure operational responsiveness to challenges, and alignment with business imperatives
- C-Level Partnering' Contributes to enduring executive relationships that establish HP's consultative professionalism and promotes its total solution capabilities at the highest levels of an organization.
- Business and Financial Acumen' Exhibits authoritative business and financial acumen o develop meaningful business recommendations. Understands the portfolio aspect of HP's products/services and how the businesses work together.
- Change Management' Develops methods for supporting innovation and change across the organization.
- Problem Solving- Approaches problems in a rational manner using sound strategies that ensures comprehensive understanding and effective resolution.
- Leadership' Able to lead effectively in a complex and political environment, and deliver results; Able to influence without direct authority; Able to balance between competing priorities and be flexible and creative; Able to drive team performance to world class; Able to create and build highly effective teams and organizations; Able to communicate effectively across multiple levels in HP and the industry.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top