Director of Competitive Intelligence
At HP, corporate strategy plays a critical role in shaping business thinking for a fortune 50 company. We deliver an independent Point of View that enables key planning and investment decisions. As a leaders at HP Inc. we embrace the philosophy that our teams can accomplish more than the science of management says is possible. We create a team environment focusing on collaboration and active engagement with senior leadership.
Director of Competitive Intelligence will lead the Competitive Intelligence (CI) function in HP Inc. and will be responsible for developing and delivering strategic insights on our competitors and on the competitive landscape to the senior leaders in our businesses. The successful candidate will work in the office of the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) and will partner with team members in the office of the CSO (Market Sizing, Market Share) business unit CI leaders, as well as thought leaders in R&D, Finance, Regional Sales / Marketing, Supply Chain, and Investor Relations to identify competitive threats and opportunities. The director will act as a key business advisor to senior business unit and regional decision makers in the translation of competitive insights into concrete business recommendations.
The director will fully own development of standardized methodology, tools, platforms and supporting technologies for the CI function.
Business Analysis Expertise Required:
- Work to ensure that the Competitive Intelligence function is optimally staffed and deployed to meet the needs of the Chief Strategy Officer, Business Unit and Regional VPs
- Strong partnering with Directors of Business Intelligence, Market Analysis & Planning, Corporate Strategy, Corporate Investor Relations, Corporate Finance to supply detailed competitive intelligence that supports the decision making process for the company's senior leadership team.
- Acts as business counsel and key strategic planning resource for senior marketing and cross-functional management.
- Responsible for management and enhancement of external data provider relationships (primary and syndicated CI) to drive increased value to HP Inc.
- Work closely with HP's Office of Ethics and Compliance to ensure appropriate controls are in place for the Competitive Intelligence function in HP.
Leadership Attributes Required:
- Senior Management and Business Unit Engagement: Lead the HP Inc. delivery of synthesized competitive intelligence (CI) insights and Chief Strategy Office Point of View (competitor, market, share, industry, etc.). Build credibility and influence at Executive Council, EVP and SVP levels.
- Program Management Office Approach: Leads engagement at senior and executive management levels to ensure continuity of priorities and objectives – team acting as program office. Ability to guide data flows, process mapping, relational database development, skill development, engineers creative and elegant solutions, and automation of repetitive tasks
- Structured Thinking: Logical approach, appropriate framing problems, and conclusions. Focuses on building capabilities across span of control.
- Communication: Clear, concise, and conclusive that shapes senior-leader understanding and draws out specific recommendations and conclusions.
- People Management: Creates a team that continually improves self, business, and function. Sets direction for group and provides compelling vision for the work; establishes a high-performance environment.
- Intuition: Brings additional business and senior management context/priorities to bear; conceives multiple hypotheses and scenarios; articulate and direct analyses to achieve desired goals; anticipates organizational needs.
- Leadership: Able to lead effectively in a complex and political environment, and deliver results; Able to influence without direct authority; Able to balance between competing priorities and be flexible and creative; Able to drive team performance to world class; Able to create and build highly effective teams and organizations; Able to communicate effectively across multiple levels in HP and the industry.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Engineering, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field; Master Business Administration (MBA) preferred
- 10+ years consulting, strategy, marketing, analytics, project management or operational experience
- Prior leadership role in Competitive Intelligence in a large corporation required
- Previous leadership role in Hi-Tech industry required
- Deep knowledge of finance, financial forensics that expose/uncover key competitive insights
- Experience in structuring and leading cross-functional War Gaming exercises
- Certifications / Memberships: SCIP (Strategy and Competitive Intelligence Professionals), ACI, or other relevant certifications or memberships
- Passion for data-driven insights and storytelling
- Excellent project management, facilitation and change management skills
- Exhibits authoritative business and financial acumen to develop meaningful business recommendations. Understands the portfolio aspect of HP's products/services and how the businesses work together.
- Ability to work across organizational boundaries to deliver aligned insights and recommendations
- Experience in presenting complex topics to senior executives
- Experience with large complex data sets, data mining
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top