Cybersecurity Network Security Engineer
Applies advanced subject matter knowledge to solve complex business issues and is regarded as a subject matter expert. Frequently contributes to the development of new ideas and methods. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors. Leads and/or provides expertise to functional project teams and may participate in cross-functional initiatives. Acts as an expert providing direction and guidance to process improvements and establishing policies. Frequently represents the organization to external customers/clients. Exercises significant independent judgment within broadly defined policies and practices to determine best method for accomplishing work and achieving objectives. May provide mentoring and guidance to lower level employees.
• Responsible for evaluating new network/firewall change requests and network designs, ensuring compliance to HP policies and standards, as well as industry best practices.
• Responsible for evaluating cloud IaaS (AWS, Azure, etc.) network security controls.
• Responsible for evaluating existing network infrastructure vs. HP policies and standards as well as industry best practices.
• Responsible for managing and coordinating any required network hardening, remediation, or other corrective actions
• Contributes to improving HP policies, standards, and specifications.
• May be called on to participate any other vulnerability detection, remediation, or other incident response efforts
Knowledge and Skills Required:
• In-depth Cyber and IT security knowledge
• In-depth understanding of Cyber and IT security risks, threats and prevention measures
• In-depth understanding of security fundamentals and best practices
• In-depth understanding of general network concepts and network security
• In-depth understanding of network monitoring and common network protocols
• Previous operational experience managing L3/L4 Firewalls, as well as next-gen Firewalls and UTM devices.
• In-depth understanding of one or more of the following:
o Off-the-shelf vulnerability assessment products and tools.
o Network security devices (firewalls, proxies, NIDS/NIPS, etc.)
o Platform and application-layer penetration testing techniques.
o Adversary techniques, tactics, and protocols and related countermeatures.
• Understanding of common computer operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc.)
• Understanding of malware and threat actor movement across a network, and associated network-layer mitigations
• Working knowledge of programming or scripting languages (perl, python, powershell, etc.) a strong plus
• Previous experience with public cloud environments (AWS, Azure) a strong plus
• Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Strong organization, prioritization, and rationalization skills.
• Ability to work independently.
Education and Experience Required:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
• 5+ years experience in network security or related field
• Individual technical Cyber Security Certification through one of the recognized bodies a plus: GIAC/SANS, CEH, etc.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Research Engineer, HP Labs
Alex conducts in-depth research and experimentation for various HP departments, allowing the company to create consumer-worthy products that disrupt the industry and change lives around the world.
Back to top