Color, Materials & Finishes Designer (CMF)
Mid/Senior Level Color, Materials & Finishes Designer
We're seeking a CMF Designer with a keen awareness of what's going on in the world of how macro trends affect product CMF. You must have the ability to make intelligent business choices, focus on strategy across the print LOB, work with internal business partners and manage multiple materials developments. Development experience with resin, textiles, patterns creation, paint, film, metals and sustainable materials is required. Ability to engage with materials suppliers and initiate materials developments from conception through production is a must. Strong rendering skills are required (KeyShot etc), as well as 2D (Photoshop/Illustrator CS6), Microsoft Office Suite (including PPT), strong organizational skills, out of the box creativity, understanding of manufacturing processes, experience working within the ODM structure, and experience engaging with outside vendors/model shops and consultants is required. Willingness to travel on occasion is essential. You must be an excellent story-teller and capable of articulating the "5 W's" into compelling and thoughtful presentations. Most importantly, you must have an amazing eye for CMF and the ability to translate customer needs into rock-star solutions.
The CMF Designer will work to research global macro-trends, implement trend findings along with other inputs into intelligent and beautiful CMF recommendations for many different products. This designer will also interface with suppliers and outside vendors to create samples, develop materials and make models. They will also work on high level strategy along with the CMF Lead and advanced materials development. You will be involved in the CMF process from concept through product launch. Technical aptitude and experience with color evaluation and associated equipment is strongly desired, but we recognize that this can be taught to the right candidate.
- Undergraduate Industrial Design degree and 5-10 years relevant experience or Graduate degree in a related field, plus 4-6 years relevant experience
- Implementation of color, material and finish solutions for multiple brands, creating focused program palettes, being up to date on relevant trends and technologies, and working cross-functionally to support vigorous and evolving timelines.
- Hands on Design Skills (Sketching, 3DCAD/modelling programs, Rendering in KeyShot and other programs, Model, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.)
- Portfolio required which demonstrates your expertise in CMF
- Keen awareness of the latest in macro-trends and how said trends impact product CMF
- Capable of carrying a product from concept through development through English communication (written and verbal) and strong story-telling skills.
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Ability to work in fast pace environment
- Experience with technical color and materials evaluation and related equipment, and strong ability to articulate your findings and recommendations preferred but not required
You will apply Trend and CMF subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex CMF design related issues within established guidelines and recommends appropriate alternatives. Works on problems of diverse complexity and scope. May act as a team or project leader on specific CMF projects and palette developments providing direction to team activities and facilitates information validation and team decision making process. Exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. Ability to handle most unique situations. May seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
- Develops color palettes and specific product CMF solutions based on established palettes and design principles and in accordance with design strategy, practices, and guidelines.
- Creates and translates new CMF ideas and trends and updates to existing products into palettes, and color specifications and quality control
- Develops and implements CMF project plans, changes, specifications for new and existing products.
- Collaborates with management, internal, and outsourced design and development partners to coordinate CMF related design activities, evaluate concepts and offerings, and recommend and implement changes to products or services to improve CMF for industrial design.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Industrial or Product Design or equivalent.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top