Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science Intern
- San Diego, CA
At HP Inc., we exist to amaze.
Through the people we hire, the experiences we enable, the way we treat our customers and each other, and ultimately through the technology we create.
As an Intern in the Industrial, Commercial, and Enterprise Printing Lab located in San Diego, California you will be working with a team of engineers and scientists developing exciting new technologies. Areas of focus currently include revolutionary high-speed industrial printing solutions.
Our printing technologies expand across a wide range of commercial and industrial markets.These markets present new opportunities for multi-disciplinary innovation - ink and media formulation, mechanical design, electronics, micro-fluidics and thermal sciences.Our lab is a place for creative minds with the drive, energy, and inspiration to expand printing technologies to new markets and new applications.
HP is hiring an intern chemist working on a graduate degree in chemistry or chemical engineering and experience in the polymer, textile, coatings, dyeing or manufacturing industry with additional experience in the digital printing industry as a plus. The main responsibility will be to gain a deeper understanding for formulation knobs for inks for various printer platforms.
This position will allow you to work on innovative technologies by providing expertise in chemistry solutions and by understanding printing performance requirements, environmental, cost and business impacts of your solutions. You will work with other subject matter experts in engineering, ink, coatings and formulation chemistry. You may be able to interact with international teams to prioritize your work, to communicate and to validate your findings.
You are a qualified candidate if you are in graduate school in Chemistry, Chemical engineering or Materials Engineering with an emphasis on polymer, organic or inorganic chemistry, as well as having a proven track record in presenting with strong leadership and communication skills.
Job responsibilities for this position include:
- Develop new treatment and ink technologies for HP's digital printing solutions market
- Follow standard testing protocols
- Follow HP's "design for Environment" principles
- Utilize an understanding of surface morphology, chemical bonding and structure/property relationships to identify formulation knobs impacting image quality, durability and other attributes of the printed page
- Document, summarize and communicate results in a timely and effective manner
- Use personal creativity and innovation to make progress on your project
- Interact effectively with team members, the leadership team, and stake holders
- Conduct all work following HP standards of conduct and confidentiality
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Graduate student in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science with background in polymer, organic or inorganic chemistry with an industrial track record in treatments, chemistries, colorants and printing as a plus.
- Strong motivation and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to achieve results from general objectives
- Demonstrated ability in writing and communicating effectively
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving and using scientific principles
- Demonstrated ability to bring projects to completion in agreed upon time
- Strong team building skills and success collaborating with others
You're out to reimagine and reinvent what's possible-in your career as well as the world around you.
Soare we. We love taking on tough challenges, disrupting the status quo,and creating what's next. We're in search of talented people who areinspired by big challenges, driven to learn and grow, and dedicated tomaking a meaningful difference.
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world united in creating technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere.
Our history: HP's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion - it's just who we are.
From the boardroom to factory floor, we create a culture where everyone isrespected and where people can be themselves, while being a part ofsomething bigger than themselves. We celebrate the notion that you canbelong at HP and bring your authentic self to work each and every day.When you do that, you're more innovative and that helps grow our bottomline. Come to HP and thrive!
Back to top