Bio Robustness Chemist
- Corvallis, OR
This Research and Development chemist position is in HP's imaging and printing business in our Corvallis, Oregon facility. Our group is part of a chemistry center of excellence that develops inks for the different print businesses. The Corvallis site includes a combination of R&D and manufacturing facilities with work ranging from MEMS fabs to large industrial printing presses. Our group is responsible for the design and formulation of inkjet printing inks including the characterization of the print attributes and robustness.
The objectives of this role will be focused on development of methods and materials to control biological growth in inkjet inks. This chemist will, after reviewing current methods and potential options, propose a strategy for future products. The solutions will need to account for different types of formulations, products, and environments that the inks will see.
The long term plan for this position will be to move into other areas and aspects of ink development beyond biorobustness. These might include development of other components or formulations for extended performance.
Aspects of this role include:
- Engage with biocide manufacturers for new and improved materials
- Benchmarking bio abatement strategies in key industries including water-based latex paints, cosmetics, and other relevant industries. Understand methods used in other industries
- Respond to regulatory constraints, coordinate with HP's internal regulatory team and toxicologists
- Understand the impact of control measures on ink performance (beyond biorobustness)
- Cross functional/ pan global team participation and leadership
- Propose and evaluate solutions for maintaining inks that are robust to biological contamination. Implement these solutions
- Train chemists and other staff on maintaining biologically robust inks
- Develop ink components and formulations for other attributes
- 4 to 6 years industrial experience in chemical formulation of paint, cosmetics, ink, or similar products.
- Bachelor degree in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or related field.
- Understanding of fundamental chemical and biological mechanisms.
- Wet chemistry experience
- Strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Ability to creatively solve problems in a fast-paced product development environment
- Ability to work & effectively interact (remotely, as needed) with team members from other disciplines, projects, organizations, cultures, & companies.
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork/interpersonal, communication and technical skills.
- Resourceful, creative and flexible
- Graduate degree in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or related field.
- Experience with ink development
- Experience/expertise with biocides and their regulation, including U.S. FIFRA (Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act)
- Familiarity with printing technology and color science
Key words: ink, dyes, pigments, colorants, dispersions, colloids, polymers, surfactants, printing, biocide, bioabatement, formulation, inkjet, chemistry, FIFRA, coatings
You're out to reimagine and reinvent what's possible-in your career as well as the world around you.
Soare we. We love taking on tough challenges, disrupting the status quo,and creating what's next. We're in search of talented people who areinspired by big challenges, driven to learn and grow, and dedicated tomaking a meaningful difference.
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world united in creating technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere.
Our history: HP's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion - it's just who we are.
From the boardroom to factory floor, we create a culture where everyone isrespected and where people can be themselves, while being a part ofsomething bigger than themselves. We celebrate the notion that you canbelong at HP and bring your authentic self to work each and every day.When you do that, you're more innovative and that helps grow our bottomline. Come to HP and thrive!
Back to top