Big Data Software Engineer
We are looking for a talented new college graduate or early career software engineer to join our big data services development team. Your past experience matters, but more important to us is what you can do going forward. If you are technically talented and have the tenacity to build upon our current skill set, then we want to talk to you. The ideal candidate has both a willingness and desire to work in a dynamic environment, is able to apply Lean/Agile methodologies in day-to-day activities, and is a self-motivated developer who mentors and shares knowledge.
So, if you are passionate about technology and want to be part of the next great thing, then we have a job for you. We are a start-up within a profitable and stable company, and our team is focused on establishing new, cloud based data communication, archival, analysis, and reporting solutions for our commercial printing business units. Our people have a creative, agile, innovative, fun, and collaborative attitude, and are dedicated to creating new and valuable software solutions for HP.
A software engineer on this team will analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software. The engineer will create enhancements and/or new services and solutions used in both local and cloud based deployments of our big data services. Using current programming language and technologies, the engineer will write code, complete programming tasks, perform testing and debugging of software, create automated unit and regression tests, and complete documentation and procedures for deployment, support, and maintenance. The team member may interact with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications.
- Participate in analyzing requirements and high-level designs.
- Code and maintain software modules working from written and oral requirements and specifications.
- Design and create unit tests for production code.
- Take ownership of existing code.
- Participate in peer reviews.
- Give input to management on task duration estimation, technical information, and issue resolution.
- Review and evaluate designs and project activities for compliance with systems design and development guidelines and standards; provide
tangible feedback to improve product quality and mitigate failure risk.
- Provide domain-specific expertise and overall software systems leadership and perspective to cross-organization projects,
programs, and activities.
- Drive innovation and integration of new technologies into projects and activities in the software systems design organization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Computer Science (or similar field).
- No more than 7 years of professional experience as a software developer since completing degree.
- HP will not sponsor individuals for immigration benefits for this position.
Candidates must have:
- Demonstrable skills in software application and services development.
- Proven proficiency in Java or related programming language.
- Experience with automated testing, continuous development, continuous delivery tools and methodologies.
- Object-oriented programming experience: Objective C, C++, Java, other.
- Experience with source control management systems, such as Git.
- Knowledge of Design Patterns, and asynchronous systems, loosely coupled systems.
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including mastery of the English language.
- Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at management levels.
We would also like experience in:
- Design and use of REST APIs.
- Cloud service deployment technology (AWS, Chef, Puppet, etc.).
- Current big data solutions and services, such as Redshift, Storm, Airflow, Hadoop, Glacier, etc.
- Functional programming languages such as Scala, Groovy, or Clojure.
- Hypothesis-driven software development mindset.
- Test-Driven Development, Unit Test, Pair Programming.
- Knowledge of design strategies for developing scalable, resillient, always-on cloud based services.
- Experience with new and emerging technological trends in the big data domain, such as dynamic data modeling.
- Ability to work with fast-changing requirements, with potentially vague requirements.
- Ability to analyze and report on the performance and scalability of complex software systems.
- Information Science and analytics background.
Meet Some of HP's Employees
Elizabeth focuses on the HP consumer experience, scaling best practices across premium consumer notebooks, testing products before public release, and crafting the compelling story of their design and performance for press workshops.
Back to top