Sr. HR Business Partner
At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation.
We're looking for a dynamic, seasoned HR professional to join our People and Culture team as a Sr. HR Business Partner based at our Chevy Chase, MD campus.
The Sr. HR Business Partner is both a strategic and hands-on role that provides full life-cycle human resources support to HHMI Investigators, laboratory staff and science operations offices located across the United States. This role is critical in executing our People and Culture initiatives, driving People and Culture functional excellence and process improvement, as well as building trusting relationships with key stakeholders such as the Vice President of Science, Science Officers, and Science Operations staff.
- Works closely with People & Culture leadership to incorporate Science's business objectives into the broader strategic plan for People and Culture.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with program leaders, managers and employees to help support program strategies.
- Participates in Science and Science Operations leadership team meetings to get first-hand knowledge of program challenges and opportunities. Recommend new initiatives or process improvements to address gaps.
- Leads team of People and Culture Business Partners to develop, implement and assess solutions that align to Science's program objectives.
- Offers policy guidance and interpretation to internal customers.
- Provides input on business restructures, workforce planning, and organizational design.
- Manages recruitment, onboarding/off boarding, visa/work authorization, and other talent management activities.
- Provides day to day guidance to managers and employees on performance management and employee development activities.
- Monitors the "pulse" of the organization to provide regular, balanced insight to both Science and People & Culture leadership teams.
- Partners with People & Culture and People Services teams to ensure strategic and tactical HR deliverables are achieved. Identifies opportunities for improved communication, process redesign, and knowledge sharing across functions.
- Analyzes People & Culture trends and metrics, and collaborate with centers of excellence to make recommendations, develop solutions and implement programs to address pressing needs.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues by performing formal investigations, providing coaching to employees and managers, as well as partnering with internal counsel as appropriate.
- Executes ad-hoc People & Culture projects to support functional initiatives.
Meet Some of Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Employees
Science Program Coordinator
Lucy supports the Hannah H. Gray Fellows Science Program—identifying, assisting, and granting awards to sets of scholars transitioning from post-doc work into their early career stages.
Back to top