Scientific Computing Associate II
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. To learn more about working at Janelia, visit janelia.org/careers.
The Scientific Computing Associate II (SCA II) is a time-limited appointment for 12 to 24 months, with discretionary renewal for a final 12-month term. SCA II employees have typically successfully completed an initial training period as an SCA I. In limited situations, the SCA II may have demonstrated a significant background in the technology and tools from the SCA1 training program during the application process and will begin employment as an SCA II. SC Associate II employees will engage in software engineering and / or computational research, side by side with scientists in the Sponsor Lab and in close collaboration with other labs as appropriate. As part of the initial appointment, the SCAII may have already identified a mutually-agreeable Sponsor Lab at Janelia.
- Write excellent code that leverages both cpu and gpu performance capabilities, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other developers and lab members to make appropriate technology and design choices.
- Be disciplined about using software development tools such as version control and issue trackers.
- Effectively manage tradeoffs that balance deliverable requirements, new features, and innovation.
- If beginning at Janelia as an SCA II without a Sponsoring Lab set up in advance, interview with participating Janelia Labs and Team Projects to identify and secure a mutually-agreeable space in a Sponsor Lab in which to work on one or more scientific software projects.
- Passionately, energetically, and creatively pursue home lab software project(s), working closely with other Janelia scientists and software engineers.
- Work closely with identified lab staff to ensure code meets stated requirements.
- Participate in Scientific Computing Software departmental meetings and social events.
- Strong undergraduate or graduate background in mathematics, engineering, or science.
- Software engineering and/or computational research skills, including a production language (e.g., Java or C++), a scripting language (e.g., Python), and evidence of successful prior software projects.
- A clear determination to pursue computational science or software engineering.
- A willingness to learn and work at a fast pace, side-by-side with other Janelia scientists.
- Confidence to work in a world-class research environment.
- Good communication skills.
- Evidence of hard work and intensity.
- SCA I completion (typically).
Please note: HHMI is committed to employing only individuals who are authorized to work in the United States, and not discriminating on the basis of national origin or citizenship in hiring, recruiting or terminating employees. HHMI is not offering work visa sponsorship for this position.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top