Research Technician - Zallen Lab (Drosophila)
- New York, NY
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy organization whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2500 people across the U.S.
We are currently seeking a Research Technician to join the lab of Dr. Jennifer Zallen at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY. This individual will work as part of a talented team of molecular, cell, and developmental biologists seeking an understanding of how cells move during development, and how defects in this process lead to developmental disorders. The lab focuses on research in developmental and molecular biology by performing a variety of techniques, including molecular biology, live imaging, genetics, biochemistry, and applying cutting-edge computational methods for quantitative image analysis. More information on the Zallen lab can be found on their website: https://www.hhmi.org/scientists/jennifer-zallen
- Utilize molecular biology approaches working with DNA, RNA, and proteins to support the science of the lab.
- Perform Drosophila embryo injections, genetic crosses, and stock maintenance.
- Apply cell biological approaches including analysis of Drosophila embryos by immunofluorescence.
- Conduct live imaging of Drosophila embryos using confocal microscopy.
- Analysis of time-lapse image sequences using custom image analysis software.
- General lab organization including accurate documentation and recording/maintenance of large data files.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- A minimum of one year of undergraduate research experience is required.
- Ability to coordinate complex assignments on a day-to-day basis.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to perform complex tasks effectively and
independently with general instruction.
- Ability to follow instruction with an eagerness to learn and grow professionally.
- Current GPA and contact information for three references are required.
When submitting your application, please include contact information for three professional references
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a note for job seekers: We are thrilled by your interest in our organization. Please be aware that HHMI's recruitment team will never contact you from an email that does not end in @hhmi.org, @janelia.org, or @janelia.hhmi.org and we will never ask you to participate in a Google Hangouts activity. Your best option for consideration in our career opportunities is to apply directly via our HHMI Careers site, which is accessible via www.hhmi.org/Careers. There, you will learn more about HHMI and can find information about our available roles.
Back to top