Research Technician - Mello Lab
- Worcester, MA
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
We currently have an opening for a Research Technician to join the laboratory of Dr. Craig Mello at University of Massachusetts Medical Center. The Mello lab is studying how cells use short segments of genetic code to find and regulate information - the proteins that mediate these searches are highly conserved in plants and animals, and are essential for viability and fertility. The lab investigates how these search mechanisms work and how organisms use them to regulate, share and propagate genetic information.
The Technician will be involved in on-going research projects in RNA interference, Crispr/CAS9, and Developmental biology. This position offers opportunities for career development, including possibly designing and executing independent experiments which could lead to publication.
- Work collaboratively to assist Postdoctoral fellows and graduate students with research projects
- Perform technical procedures such as PCR, gel electrophoresis, and molecular biology
- Help with media preparation and maintenance of lab C. elegans strains
- Actively contribute to laboratory meetings and planning sessions
- Collect and analyze data
- Prepare general lab stocks
- Assist with lab organizational tasks, including occasionally assisting with lab supply ordering and purchasing
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or a related scientific discipline
- Prefer a minimum of two years' experience in a research laboratory setting with experience in molecular biology and with C. elegans
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to perform complex tasks effectively and
independently with general instruction
- Ability to work in a team-focused environment
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- Highly motivated and energetic
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top