Research Technician - Carroll Lab
- Lanham, MD
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
We are currently seeking a dynamic, interested, and curious Research Technician within the lab of Dr. Sean Carroll at the University of Maryland, College Park. The Carroll Lab explores the origin of novelty - one of the central questions of evolutionary biology. Most recently, the team is investigating biochemical novelties such as the origin and evolution of snake venom toxins. More information on the work of Dr. Carroll can be found on his websites: http://biology.umd.edu/sean-carroll.html and http://seanbcarroll.com/
In this role, you will be engaged in the exploration of both basic and potentially translational questions about the molecular biology and evolution of snake venoms. The position is best suited for someone who loves laboratory research and continuing to learn about biology. The lab has ample, long-term funding so we are excited to welcome someone into the lab who is passionate about the work and eager to be a part of long-range research.
- Assist lab personnel with experiments in protein biochemistry and molecular genetics
- Perform some independent research, based on capability
- Participate in laboratory meetings and read literature applicable to the research area
- Help with lab organization and other support duties relating to lab operations, as required
- Bachelor's degree in Life Science, with courses in molecular biology
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in a research laboratory, with experience in BOTH/OR:
- Protein biochemistry (purification, characterization, quantitative analysis
- Molecular genetics (PCR, DNA and RNA isolation, cloning, sequencing protocols, gene and protein expression)
- Experience with tissue culture or animal handling (mice/vertebrates) a plus
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction, and to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
Please submit a CV and cover letter along with your application.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top