Postdoctoral Associate - Schreiter Lab
We invite applications for postdoctoral positions in the Schreiter lab at HHMI's Janelia Research Campus in Ashburn, VA. Janelia is a unique world-class research community near Washington, D.C. dedicated to understanding the function of neural circuits and developing synergistic imaging technology. Its highly collaborative structure is designed to support interdisciplinary research in small groups.
The brain delivers incredible computational power to enact complex and flexible behaviors in animals as a result of the intricate interconnections between neurons. The Schreiter lab at Janelia uses protein engineering to develop useful molecular tools to visualize the structure and function of the nervous system. We test new protein scaffolds, apply knowledge of protein structure and function, and evolve proteins in a directed manner to engineer proteins with novel functions. These functions can be the ability to give off light, change color, capture synthetic molecules, change shape, or interact with other biomolecules in ways that make them useful to read out or manipulate the activity of cells. Examples of current projects include sensors to permanently mark and manipulate active neuron ensembles, as well as bright and photostable sensors of membrane potential, calcium, and neurotransmitters. Collaboration is critical for progress. We work closely with neurobiology labs at Janelia and elsewhere studying mice, fruit flies, and zebrafish to address important biological questions and to get rapid feedback about in vivo function of new tool prototypes. Janelia has a strong community of other tool development labs, project teams, and shared resources that support our efforts. Applicants should have strong abilities and interests in interdisciplinary science and a desire to make useful tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and refine molecular tools for neuroscience.
- Collaborate with biologists to apply molecular tools to answer important biological questions.
- Disseminate results through presentations and publications.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, biophysics, bioengineering, neuroscience, or another related discipline.
- Fluency in English and strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience with molecular biology, protein biochemistry, structural biology, electrophysiology, microscopy, scientific programming, and/or advanced data analysis is desirable but not required.
Please feel free to email informal inquiries to Eric Schreiter directly (email@example.com), and refer to the following links for more information:
- General information: janelia.org
- Schreiter lab: janelia.org/lab/schreiter-lab
- Information for students and postdocs: janelia.org/you-janelia/students-and-postdocs
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Employees
Science Program Coordinator
Lucy supports the Hannah H. Gray Fellows Science Program—identifying, assisting, and granting awards to sets of scholars transitioning from post-doc work into their early career stages.
Back to top