Primary Work Address: 19700 Helix Drive, Ashburn, VA, 20147
Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
We are always open to finding collaborative and highly motivated Postdoctoral Associate candidates for potential opportunities within one of our labs at the Janelia Research Campus.
Applications for this role are accepted on a rolling basis. You will be contacted by a member of our Recruitment team if your skills and experience appear to be a match for an open role.
Summary: Performs a variety of research and/or laboratory tasks and experiments under general supervision. Analyzes data and records the results and conclusions of laboratory experiments. Interprets analytical data and prepares research reports. May assist in the establishment of experimental protocols. Associates appointments are tied to a research program directed by the Investigator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects.
- Makes detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results
- Exercises technical discretion in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project strategies.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Maintains familiarity with current scientific literature
- Contributes to project process within his/her scientific discipline.
- Investigates, creates, and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Maintains high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature.
- May participate in scientific conferences and contribute to scientific journals.
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with HHMI's objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance to staff in the laboratory.
- Ph.D. degree in neuroscience, biology, chemistry, biochemistry, physics, biophysics, or a computational field
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Ability to perform highly complex experiments with high levels of reliability and accuracy within time constraints
- Operational knowledge of advanced lab equipment
- Ability to provide work and supervise directions to others
- Ability to initiate and compose communications for various purposes in an appropriate style
- Ability to work successfully within a collaborative and collegial environment and foster this ability in others.
- Ability to review goals, analyze processes necessary to achieve those goals, and develop techniques and systems required to meet those goals. Often explores new areas and seeks opportunities to apply new knowledge to work.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job's principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word "may," the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are "essential functions" of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
An Associate 00 is compensated at a rate of $68,672.00 annually at HHMI's Janelia Research Campus.
HHMI's salary structure is developed based on relevant job market data. HHMI considers a candidate's education, previous experiences, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity when making job offers.
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer