Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
HHMI is focused on supporting and moving science forward in a variety of different ways ranging from conducting basic biomedical research, empowering educators, inspiring students, developing the next generation of scientists - even stretching into film and media production. Our Headquarters is in Chevy Chase, MD and is home to over 300 employees with expertise in communications, digital production, biomedical sciences, and everything in between. The work housed here supports and augments the groundbreaking research conducted in HHMI labs across the nation. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working here are making a difference.
We are always open to finding collaborative and highly motivated Postdoctoral Associate candidates for potential opportunities within one of our labs at the Janelia Research Campus.
Applications for this role are accepted on a rolling basis. You will be contacted by a member of our Recruitment team if your skills and experience appear to be a match for an open role.
Summary: Performs a variety of research and/or laboratory tasks and experiments under general supervision. Analyzes data and records the results and conclusions of laboratory experiments. Interprets analytical data and prepares research reports. May assist in the establishment of experimental protocols. Associates appointments are tied to a research program directed by the Investigator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects.
- Makes detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results
- Exercises technical discretion in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project strategies.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Maintains familiarity with current scientific literature
- Contributes to project process within his/her scientific discipline.
- Investigates, creates, and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Maintains high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature.
- May participate in scientific conferences and contribute to scientific journals.
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with HHMI's objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance to staff in the laboratory.
- Ph.D. degree in neuroscience, biology, chemistry, biochemistry, physics, biophysics, or a computational field
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Ability to perform highly complex experiments with high levels of reliability and accuracy within time constraints
- Operational knowledge of advanced lab equipment
- Ability to provide work and supervise directions to others
- Ability to initiate and compose communications for various purposes in an appropriate style
- Ability to work successfully within a collaborative and collegial environment and foster this ability in others.
- Ability to review goals, analyze processes necessary to achieve those goals, and develop techniques and systems required to meet those goals. Often explores new areas and seeks opportunities to apply new knowledge to work.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job's principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word "may," the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are "essential functions" of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer