Lead Procurement Systems Analyst
- Chevy Chase, MD
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee - you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference.
Are you passionate about finding solutions to complex procure-to-pay processes and issues, and have a strong desire to enable key business capabilities through technology, data, and automation? Do you embrace ambiguity and enjoy collaborating with your team and partners across the organization to drive change and transform the way work gets done? If the answer is yes, then we want to talk to you!
The Lead Procurement Systems Analyst - Procurement and Accounts Payables will play an instrumental role in leading and continuously improving critical business systems such as Workday, Ariba, Concur and other key business enablers. In this role, you will serve as the technical domain authority on Ariba P2P & Contract Modules, Concur Travel & Expense modules, as well as, Workday Procurement, Expense, Supplier Accounts, and Settlement functional areas.
You will be successful in this role if you have a deep understanding of best practices related to the Procure-to-Pay process, a track record of quickly absorbing new technologies and processes , and a proven ability to foster collaborative relationships with operational teams in order to provide thought partnership around configuration, process, and industry trends.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Ariba, Concur, and Workday product function, design, build, and support expertise
- Advise Procurement and AP business partners on options, risks, and impacts on other processes or systems
- Based on business need, perform the following: lead requirement/use case gathering sessions to understand and document client business requirements, architect and configure the technical solution, demonstrate the configurations through the development of prototype systems, assist the client in testing the solution
- Support business partners in articulating, quantifying, and ultimately capturing the business value for proposed changes as a means of anchoring work prioritization discussions
- Work with customer stakeholders and third-party solution partners to facilitate monthly and periodic releases as well as design and configure new system enhancements as they are made available with each new release
- Conduct ongoing system build, integration troubleshooting and configuration updates
- Develop, support and maintain all required system design and documentation
- Provide Tier-3 support to remediate support issues and interface with vendor support (where needed)
- Assist in researching new capabilities within Workday and Ariba
- Represent HHMI's interest within the Workday and Ariba communities, and stay on top of functionality changes and weekly/monthly/periodic service updates
- Participate fully in the release/sprint planning, attend daily standups, sprint demos and retrospectives.
- Inform vision and roadmap for the future of HHMI's procurement and accounts payables business system capabilities
- Partner with departmental teams and system owners to inform and prioritize backlog of work
- Collaborate with business system capability teams to architect, design, test, and implement new features and functionality
- Demonstrate curiosity about the way things work and highlight areas of opportunity and continuous improvement
- Coach and mentor the procurement and accounts payables business analyst through continuous feedback, frequent check-ins, and consistent review/conversations regarding goal progress.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Information Technology, or equivalent experience
- Six or more years of extensive technical support experience either with support of purchasing systems or similar experience with database structured financial operations systems
- Two or more years of experience in managing a SaaS (Software as a Service) based ecommerce application, preferably Ariba
- Two or more years of experience managing staff within the technical/systems procurement or accounts payable functional areas
Skills and Abilities:
- Data extraction, cleaning and analysis expertise utilizing a wide variety of data system types and systems
- Advanced computer skills (MS Office Suite, P2P and internet) required
- Prior experience in Systems Analysis and production support activities
- Knowledge of business processes related to Procurement, Accounts Payable and associated financial flows
- Ability to lead/ participate in multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, negotiating, influencing, facilitation, organizational, prioritization, decision-making, and conflict-resolutions skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving skills
- Proven ability to collaborate and build strong relationships across an organization
- Ability to generate a sense of urgency and rally appropriate teams
- The ability to quickly absorb new technologies and features
- Strong desire for continuous improvement
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top