Houzz New Zealand Writer/Deputy Editor
Houzz, the largest home and design community in the world, is looking for an experienced editor and home design writer to join the local Australia & New Zealand team at an incredibly exciting time in its growth.
Top candidates will have at least 5 years experience writing home and lifestyle content for a consumer publication or website, and will have a talent for spotting timely home ideas and turning them into articles that inform, engage and entertain. They have top-notch writing, editing and leadership abilities, a deep well of story ideas, and a strong sense of reader service. They love the entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture of the web, interaction with a creative online community, and being part of a fun and productive editorial team.
Houzz NZ Writer/Deputy Editor has
- a strong background in home and design publishing, including reporting, editing, coaching and managing successful teams
- a passion for residential design and an understanding of home and garden trends
- a deep well of creative story ideas, and a strong sense of reader service and journalistic standards for excellence
- the ability to lead people with varying backgrounds and talents toward common goals
- a love for the entrepreneurial, fast-paced culture of the web
- Work in a fast-paced environment to create daily articles that are as engaging as they are accurate
- Recruit and train a diverse team of talented home and garden design journalists
- Develop a deep roster of regular contributors from the design community and home design writers and photographers.
- Generate ideas for new content that readers will bookmark and share
- Edit our weekly newsletter, writing captivating subject lines and sharing an engaging mix of content
- Adapt original content from our overseas counterparts to engage our local audiences
- Create content for our social channels and discussion forums
- Daily site management and the development of new ideas and projects
- Degree in Journalism or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience writing for a lifestyle publication or website, interiors experience preferred
- Familiarity with digital media and its technical aspects. 2+ years of writing/editing for the web preferred
- A track record of writing breaking news and unique, quality features that go viral
- Familiarity with writing headlines and teasers for the web in a fast-paced environment
- A quick thinker with a proven knack for coming up with a wide variety of meaningful and timely editorial articles
- A curiosity about homes, gardens and life, and an interest in helping readers solve problems and take action
- Exceptional attention to detail, grammar and logical story construction
- A roll-up-your-sleeves, get-it-done attitude and friendly, outgoing personality
- An eye for strong design photography
- To apply, please send a CV with two examples of your recent writing work. Successful applicants may be required to complete a written task before an interview.
Back to top