Copy Editor / Associate Editor - English Native Speaker (Berlin)
Houzz, the web's leading home design site, is looking for an experienced lifestyle copy editor / associate editor to join its international editorial team.
This is a salaried, full-time position in Berlin, Germany. English native speaker required.
Top candidates will have at least five years of experience editing home and lifestyle content for consumer publications or websites. They will have top-notch editing and headline writing skills, a thorough understanding of the rules of grammar and style, a friendly, collaborative working style, an instinct for reader service and an appreciation for the natural rhythms of language. They are good organizers and will love the entrepreneurial and fast-paced culture of the web, interaction with an engaged online community and being part of a fun and productive global editorial team.
Houzz articles bring out the best new ideas in home and garden design and cover everything from fine architecture to kitchen design, gardening and landscape design, stylish DIY projects, international design, house tours, historic homes, cost guides and pop culture.
- You’ll work closely with the Houzz International Lead Editor in managing content review and editing processes of global stories and translations.
- Edit globally published stories (in English) for logic, flow, accuracy and reader service while maintaining Houzz’s friendly voice.
- Copy edit stories with an eye for clarity, concision, active voice, logic, accuracy, grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation and adherence to AP, Chicago and Houzz style guides.
- Write engaging headlines and descriptive subheads that grab readers’ attention, inform and entertain.
- Provide precise feedback to writers, translators/translation vendors and editors of Houzz worldwide.
- Support the International Lead editor in all aspects of daily management and coordination of global stories, reports and translations.
- Work with the International Lead Editor on the development of new types of international content as well as style guides for the global editorial teams.
- Help bring the level of editorial content to a unified gold standard across all countries.
- Degree in journalism, English, communications or the equivalent
- Five+ years of experience copy editing for a lifestyle / design publication or website
- Familiarity with digital media and its technical aspects
- Great and effective communicator both written and oral
- Very good organizer with experience in online content management tools, cloud tools and translation systems
- Exceptional attention to detail, grammar and logical story construction. Familiarity with AP and Chicago styles and writing headlines for the web
- Native speaker English. Intermediate knowledge of 2+ languages, preferable
- A roll-up-your-sleeves, get-it-done attitude and friendly personality
- Ability to work at our Berlin office, Germany
Back to top