Houzz, the web's leading home design site, is looking for an experienced lifestyle copy editor to join its editorial team. This is a salaried, full-time position in Palo Alto, California.
Top candidates will have at least five years of experience copy editing home and lifestyle content for consumer publications or websites. They will have top-notch editing and headline writing skills, a thorough understanding of the rules of grammar and style, a friendly, collaborative working style, an instinct for reader service and an appreciation for the natural rhythms of language. They will love the entrepreneurial and fast-paced culture of the web, interaction with an engaged online community and being part of a fun and productive editorial team.
Houzz articles bring out the best new ideas in home and garden design and cover everything from fine architecture to kitchen design, gardening and landscape design,stylish DIY projects, international design, cost guides, pop culture and immersive video. You can see what we do at www.houzz.com/ideabooks.
- Copy edit daily stories with an eye for clarity, concision, active voice, logic, accuracy, grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation and adherence to AP, Chicago and Houzz style guides
- Write engaging headlines and descriptive subheads that grab readers’ attention, inform and entertain
- Edit stories for logic, flow, accuracy and reader service while maintaining Houzz’s friendly voice
- Support the editorial team in daily site management and the development of new types of content
- Update and maintain the Houzz Style Guide as needed
Requirements & preferences for this position include
- Degree in journalism, English, communications or the equivalent
- Five+ years of experience copy editing for a lifestyle publication or website
- Familiarity with digital media and its technical aspects
- A track record of writing headlines that grab readers' attention
- Exceptional attention to detail, grammar and logical story construction
- Familiarity with AP and Chicago styles and writing headlines for the web
- A roll-up-your-sleeves, get-it-done attitude and friendly personality
- Ability to work at our headquarters in Palo Alto, California
Back to top