Engineering Manager, Web
HotelTonight makes it remarkably easy to book great hotels at amazing rates for tonight, tomorrow and beyond. Our goal is to be the premier and most loved way to book a place to stay and we’re looking for an Engineering Manager on our Web team to help do just that.
In addition to our native apps, we have a responsive desktop website and mobile web app that serve as initial touchpoints for new customers. In this role you will guide development and manage a team of engineers for our web products, helping to make HotelTonight the most loved way to book a hotel, all while keeping our solutions fast and our UX clean and simple.
You know how to take ownership, move fast and hold yourself accountable. You are an excellent listener and can turn user feedback into the next great feature. You enjoy being a “full stack” manager and are just as capable at diving into the technical details as you are at making compelling strategic recommendations. You'll have access to the best tooling and work with a best-in-class team made up of other engineers, designers and product managers.
We are on a mission to radically transform hotel bookings. Doing this requires us to think differently and to question conventional approaches, therefore it’s essential to have a diverse team of the very best people with all types of backgrounds and experiences to bring the best ideas to life. We are committed to maintaining an environment where all of our team members have the opportunity to be heard, to make an impact and to do the best work of their lives.
IN 1 MONTH, YOU WILL
- Familiarize yourself with our CDN infrastructure and various web components
- Become familiar with current roadmap, our tech stack, and plans for our web architecture
- Learn the ways of the HotelTonight codebase
- Begin managing a small team of engineers
IN 3 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Guide technical projects: from planning, through execution, coding & code reviews with multiple engineers, to testing and deployment into production
- Collaborate and help design the next web products on our roadmap
- Work with product and marketing teams on distribution strategies
- Triage and debug functionality and performance issues on our web products
- Have regular 1:1s with your team of engineers to support them
IN 12 MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Become the go-to engineering person and owner on our web platform, driving product requirements and writing technical specs for feature development
- Propose and implement architectural changes to the way our web products work to meet evolving content strategy and scaling needs
- Keep an eye on the platform and infrastructure on rotating pager duties, responding to issues promptly
- Partner with internal stakeholders across the business to continually evolve and make improvements to our web products as our business grows
- Take ownership of high-impact features from start to end, shipping delightful products quickly
- Mentor, build and grow a team of engineers working on our web platform through coaching and professional development
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- Extensive experience as a full-stack web developer in at least one major framework, with engineering management or senior technical experience
- Experience with multiple web development paradigms, both back-end rendered and single-page apps, and understand the tradeoffs between them for optimal architecture
- Product-oriented, end-to-end thinking, user-empathy and an instinct on good UX even if it is not your primary strength
- Familiarity and interest in working with React / Redux on the front-end and Ruby on Rails / Node on the backend
- Solid understanding of HTTP fundamentals and CDNs
- A hands on problem-solver who loves working as part of a team and strives for continuous improvement
- Pragmatic and creative thinking about how to put technical solutions together in a diverse environment
- An interest in the broader operational picture of the company besides just the engineering piece
- Nice to have: specific experience with Webpack, Varnish, MySQL / PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Ansible, Packer, AWS or Terraform
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- An official Best Place to Work (we're in the top 10!)
- A highly collaborative and supportive team environment that values asking the right questions, building solutions, and respecting everyone we work with
- We’ll help you create goals that drive you, take on projects that excite you, and learn things that will surprise you
- A beautiful workspace at Market & 5th St
- Excellent health, dental, vision and 401k plans, and stock options too
- Fun stuff — quarterly travel stipend, flexible time off, catered meals, subsidized cell phone plans and fitness memberships, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and the opportunity to spin the HT Roulette wheel to win a spontaneous weekend getaway!
Back to top