Backend Engineer (Ruby)
HotelTonight makes it remarkably easy to book great hotels at amazing last-minute rates on your mobile device, for tonight, tomorrow and next week. This role is key in making sure our users feel the love all around the world. You will work with a world-class engineering team to deliver the best mobile booking experience and release product at break neck speeds with amazing quality that meets the expectations of our spontaneous bookers around the globe.
Automate the mundane, rollout new features to amaze our partners, bring best value to our users, explore new technologies to get a new angle on data and performance. Never be satisfied with it just works. Make it work better!
This is a great opportunity for an engineer who loves quick turn-arounds, loves to ship, fine tune code via Github’s collaborative code review tools - with our geographically dispersed teams it feels like any decent open source project.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Solve challenging problems including better tailoring hotel recommendations for customers, making data actionable for hotels and customers, scaling the system, and much more
- Implement new features on our Rails web applications for our hotel partners and the HotelTonight team
- Contribute to platform evolution, support existing features and recommend new ones and optimizations
- Participate in code reviews, improve our software development processes, and deliver high-quality software in a fast-paced environment
- Work on scaling infrastructure to support massive data demands within a constantly changing real-time marketplace servicing millions of requests per day with 99.99% uptime - bootstrap new services, set up apps
- Keep an eye on the platform and infrastructure on rotating pager duties, responding to issues promptly
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 3-4 years experience in software development in Ruby, working as an Engineer at a startup or mid-sized company
- Familiar with major technologies from our stack - Ruby, Rails, Rspec, MySQL
- Very nice to have - ElasticSearch, Redis, Kafka, Kinesis, and interest in other languages (Go, Elixir, ReactJS)
- Dependable, hands-on problem solver
- Detail-oriented but moves fast
- Broad interest in technology trends and keen to continually learn new things
- Values and loves working as part of a collaborative team
- Strong English communication skills to communicate effectively with the teams in Berlin and San Francisco
Additional Information: You must be an EU citizen or have documentation demonstrating your right to work in Germany.
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- The opportunity to define mobile commerce and change the way people book travel
- The camaraderie of a driven, agile team that is building something disruptive
- Camaraderie of an amazing team that is working tirelessly to build the world's favorite hotel app, supported by top-tier investors
- Competitive monthly salary + stock options in one of Silicon Valley’s hottest startups
- Great perks: Quarterly travel stipend, weekly catered lunches, unlimited coffee and snacks, and a gong that you’ll get to bang when you build something amazing!
Back to top