UX Intern (Summer 2018)
User Experience Intern (Summer 2018)
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As a high-growth, e-commerce company, we are searching for talented and passionate User Experience Interns to join our Global Experience Design Group. Here are a few of the opportunities within the team:
User Research - The User Experience Research team at HomeAway is looking for an intern to help us deliver research insights on the next generation of our products. Our team employs various research methods such as lab-based usability testing, remote usability testing, field studies and interviews to gain direct knowledge of how our customers interact with our products. If you have a passion for design research and are excited about seeing your findings used to drive changes that will impact millions of people, then we’d like to hear from you.
Experience Design - You’ll partner with a world class design team at the intersection of user, data, technology and design. You’ll place a deep focus on user insight to help you keenly understand user experience problems and opportunities. That understanding enables you to craft compelling solutions that are intuitive, thoughtful, simple and delightful. You’ll thrive in a positive environment where you’re surrounded by a supportive, talented and passionate design community who inspire each other to take their craft to the next level.
Design Technologist – Part designer and part front-end engineer, you will make exceptional user experiences come to life. Blending UX design and engineering expertise into a single progressive discipline, the web’s presentation layer is your playground, where you will get to work with our world class design technology team on responsive web prototyping. You will work hand-in-hand with our Experience Designers to conceptualize and define the user experience, while partnering with the engineering teams to deliver these great experiences and patterns for HomeAway travelers and suppliers. You’ll be empowered and challenged to tap the full range of your skills while also being in an environment of growth and learning to develop new skills.
Our Ideal Intern:
- Working towards an advanced degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, OR MFA, BFA or BS in Human Factors, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, depending on role.
- Coursework in usability testing, interview facilitation, heuristic analysis, task analysis and other HCI research methods needed; hands-on project work with related research preferred (can include class projects or thesis work).
- Coursework in experimental design and statistics (preferred for User Research).
- Strong communication skills and detail orientation needed. Comfortable working in a fast-paced professional research and design setting.
- Experience in web (responsive desired), native mobile, product, graphic, interaction or information design.
- In depth knowledge of design principles and experience simplifying complex systems.
- Proven experience with multi-screen layout, final production art, information design, typography, color, composition, flows and UI specifications.
- Proficiency in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Keynote or other visual design, wire-framing and prototyping tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in an agile team environment.
- Impressive portfolio that you’re proud of.
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Plan
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Discounted rail and bus passes
- Free drinks and snacks
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
This role is part of HomeAway University which starts May 2018 and lasts for 12 weeks. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
Will oversees several teams of developers, working with them in designing and building software solutions for successfully marketing HomeAway listings to customers.
Back to top