Staff Software Engineer - Cloud Services
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1 million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
What You’ll Do:
The right person for the job will be joining the growing Cloud Services team within HomeAway’s Cloud Platform Engineering Team. As a Cloud Services leader, you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering empowerment. The Cloud Services team enables developer productivity and velocity through an automated Multi-PaaS cloud infrastructure. This platform is rooted in the principle of infrastructure as code and is constantly evolving and integrating new and interesting technologies. You’ll be expected to continually learn and utilize the latest open-source tools available to enable a seamless experience between our bare metal, public and private cloud environments.
What You’ll Get:
As a leader you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting the environments used by all of HomeAway's engineers globally. You’ll have the chance to drive the development experience on the bleeding edge of cloud technologies. Our ever growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a credible team where people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast paced eCommerce industry all while working in an incredible office space!
- Responsible for the design and implementation of the routing and service mesh that forms the core of our multi-PaaS micro-services platform.
- Working with our internal business partners to gather requirements
- Developing enterprise platform services utilizing object oriented methodologies
- Developing unit tests, functional tests, and integration test frameworks for distributed systems
- Performing peer reviews, code walk throughs, and weekly demos
- CI/CD pipeline management for infrastructure components
- Must have the ability to be a self-starter and work independently on technical projects but also work collaboratively with project team members through an agile development process that promotes constant team communication
- Must have excellent communication skills to assist in conducting user interview sessions, requirements gathering, and design reviews
- Programming skills – You are comfortable writing code in multiple languages, confident in choosing the right strongly or dynamically typed language for the job. Preferred language familiarity: C++, Java, NodeJS, Ruby, Scala, and/or Go
- Database skills – You understand the use cases for relational and non-relational data, you’ve implemented code against several different database platforms.
- Development experience - Java Web Applications, Service Oriented Architecture and Micro-Services
- Knowledge of configuration management tools, monitoring tools, performance tools, cloud platforms, and software delivery tools
- Knowledge of micro-services networking, load balancing, and service discovery concepts and technologies
- Experience with containers and cloud tech like Mesos, Kubernetes, Docker, Rancher, AWS, Azure, GCE, VMWare, etc.
- Experience with tools like Consul, Cassandra, DataDog, Kafka, Spark, Splunk, Vault preferred
- Some experience with HAProxy, Nginx, Linkerd
- Committed to Open Source Projects. Please provide Github links if appropriate
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Conduct code walk-throughs, peer reviews, and produce technical documentation
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent years of hands-on coding experience.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top