Staff Data Scientist
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
Love data, science, technology & coding? How about vacations? Want a job where data, science and vacations swipe right? Like to drive a world-class experience for millions of people taking vacations by connecting them with millions of vacation rental properties? Passionate about building and shipping complex models to solve relevance and personalization problems, great at model testing and evaluation using scientific approaches and feature engineering?
If so, then HomeAway has a Data Scientist role for you and would like to talk to you!
As a Data Scientist at HomeAway – you’ll play a major role in how we architect, visualize, and interpret critical data that is at the very core of our business. You’ll partner with our leaders to understand objectives, then work alongside our Analysts and Engineers to execute and communicate findings back to the business through visualizations and presentations. Simply put – we want you to be HomeAway’s leading expert on data and predictive analytics.
- Serve as the Data Guru of the company - i.e be aware of data streams captured in the company in any format (structured,
unstructured, semi-structured, external API etc.)
- Work on larger programs/initiatives encompassing several projects that have a company wide impact
- Assist others in the company in data discovery and data preparation phase
- Understand the “big picture” our data presents
- Work closely with various Product, Business and Engineering teams
- Frame analytic problem statements in response to business and product challenges
- Be an expert in the Exploratory phase and prescriptive analysis - i.e build and assess models, review results, etc.
- Deployment of various models in Production
- Articulate storytelling to business & product stakeholders - i.e focus on telling the “business” story that the data shows (and
abstract the data complexities and process involved) and have a strong influence on the audience
- 8+ years of experience in Data Science and analytics fields
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python, or Scala
- Experience in processing and analyzing Big data - i.e large scale data volumes, semi-structured and unstructured data and
near real-time throughput
- Experience working in Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience building various Machine learning models
- Strong database knowledge and expertise in SQL
- Experience using visualization tools such as Tableau and Datameer
- Good storytelling and presentation skills i.e be able to present business side of the story that data presents to c-team and
- eCommerce domain expertise strongly preferred
- Masters or Ph.D in Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Market Economics
- Great Medical & Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSUs)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Free vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
To understand the mission of HomeAway watch our ad by Prince EA, Working to Live or Living to Work, on our YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRldP18bH8!
Visit our Engineering Blog - https://tech.homeaway.com/science/
Back to top