Staff Build Engineer
HomeAway is looking for a motivated data professional for the position of Database Build Engineer. The team manages the data and technology that helps ensure success of the company. This is an opportunity to join a growing team and make a difference in in developing usable, scalable and reliable database solutions.
Data is central to our mission at HomeAway. Everything here is about data whether it is describing a vacation rental, managing a booking calendar, identifying traveler trends, or what feature converts better -- data moves this company. With over $3 billion in annual bookings and over one million properties listed, HomeAway is the leader in the online vacation rental marketplace.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- The primary responsibility of this position is to perform and monitor release builds as well as manage the source control environment for all Information System teams at HomeAway.
- Develop and maintain nightly and on-demand builds including automated regression test process with appropriate alerts.
- Deploy builds to appropriate environments across multiple platforms.
- Automate build and release processes.
- Review build results, debug, and optimize complex builds. Resolve build issues with the development team.
- Develop and maintain documentation for the build/release process.
- Manage and maintain local version management infrastructure
- Write programs and scripts to package and deliver/install products as needed.
- Test released functionality in multiple environments and configurations
- Provide timely and accurate estimates for assigned tasks
- Research new technologies and function as a subject matter expert.
- Must have the ability to be a self-starter and work independently on technical projects but also work collaboratively with project team members through an agile development process that promotes constant team communication.
- Demonstrated experience in scripting, software-build processes, and system configuration.
- Understanding of multi-tier application architecture and deployment.
- Highly organized, detail oriented,extremely responsive and able to prioritize a large number of tasks
- Must have self-starting personality, unafraid to display initiative and innovation on the job.
- Ability to work independently and in a team (co-located or dispersed.)
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a team player willing to share ideas with the ability to contribute to discussions passionately but objectively, while seeking and respecting differing opinions from others.
- Willing to proactively recognize and raise quality issues while suggesting appropriate resolutions
- Familiarity with entire software development life cycle.
- Technical competence and aptitude to learn new things quickly,
- Familiarity with continuous integration and version control (Jenkins, GitHub, Liquibase, SSDT, etc.)
- Experience with AWS and Cloud based deployments and tools such as Docker, Terraform, Ansible.
- Participate on call duty
- Minimum of 10+ years’ experience in the software and prior hands-on with systems and build management.
- Scripting: Experience with a general scripting language (Perl, Python, PHP etc.), familiar with PowerShell and Unix Shells, and comfortable using new scripting languages as needed.
- Server Operating Systems: Windows and either Linux or Unix (any flavor), any additional OS know how is a plus
- Experience with DB Project tools: Visual Studio, Redgate
- Databases: SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle.
- Great Medical & Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSU's)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Stand up desk
- Casual dress code
Back to top