Staff Big Data Engineer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
We are looking for Big Data Engineers to join our Analytics Data Services team, which is focused on enabling advanced analytics supporting both product and business teams. As a Big Data Engineer on Analytics Data Services team, you will focus on making rich datasets/solutions available, understandable and extensible for several business and product teams in the company. Success in this role comes from marrying a strong EDW/Big Data engineering background, product and business acumen to deliver scalable technical solutions that can enable self-service advanced analytics at HomeAway.
What we look for:
Flawless Execution, Engineering Excellence, Tech Savvy, Business & Product acumen, Creative Problem solver
- Build and support scalable and durable data solutions that can enable self-service advanced analytics at HomeAway using both traditional (SQL server) and modern DW technologies (Hadoop, Spark, Cloud, NoSQL etc.) in an agile manner
- Provide technical leadership to ensure that all delivered solutions and architecture adhere to industry best-practices for scalability, maintainability, usability, availability, extensibility, security, and portability
- Participate in all aspects of the software life cycle, including analysis, design, development, unit testing, production deployment and support
- Capable of working closely with business and product teams to ensure data solutions are aligned with business initiatives and are of high quality
- Contribute to the design and architecture of the data warehousing system that can support analytical and real time reporting
- Design highly performant systems and troubleshoot complex performance and scalability issues in production.
- Efficiently integrate our big data infrastructure in the AWS cloud.
- Ensure that the platform goes through Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) with DevOps automation
- Create Big Data accelerators to help deploy scalable solutions fast
- Leverage the latest technologies to solve complex data analytics problems
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or related experience required.
- 10+ years of experience working with data warehouses and are familiar with data warehousing concepts
- 5+ years of experience driving technical architecture design
- 3+ years of experience designing, building and operating distributed batch and stream/compute ETL data pipelines using technologies such as Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Presto
- 3+ years of programming language experience required, preferably in Scala, Python or Java
- 2+ years of development experience with Amazon Web Services or similar cloud computing solution
- Proven knowledge of big data querying tools (e.g. Hive, Spark SQL)
- Demonstrated understanding of Meta data management principles, data architecture, data modeling, data governance, and data security
- Experience in e-commerce or Internet industry preferred
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
Senior HR Coordinator, EMEA
Camilla does everything to ensure that HomeAway employees have the resources they need to succeed, from welcoming new staff aboard to writing HR policies for the company.
Back to top