Sr. noSQL DBA
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1.2 million properties listed. We have millions of visitors to our site per year and serve more than one million page views per month. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
World class Data infrastructure is a key building block enabling the growth of our company. With over $3 billion in annual bookings, HomeAway is the world's leading online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, with sites representing over one million paid listings of vacation rental homes in 190 countries. The Database Operation group is responsible for the technology, and systems that support our websites, applications, sales, customer service, and internal systems worldwide.
As a Staff noSQL DBA at HomeAway you help design, support, and enhancing our growing noSQL database footprint. You will need to be is equally proficient serving the role of an experienced database administrator providing high levels of performance and reliability and delivering effective and maintainable solutions. You will leverage your broad set of DBA skills and development experience to evaluate and apply the latest technologies and best practices to ensure our databases and data drive systems are designed to grow the business and increase scale and efficiency.
Our ideal candidate, at a minimum will be able to:
- Experience with MongoDB and/or Cassandra Administration
- Proficient in Linux/Unix
- Experience with Perl, Python or other scripting languages
- Plan and implement database tuning, backup /recovery, redundancy, and performance monitoring.
- Plan and deploy database clusters as appropriate
- Design and maintain the development, test, and production multi-tier environments.
- Provide research, troubleshooting skills and resolve database issues by working with development teams.
- Plan and perform upgrades, migrations and patch management as required
- Evaluates new database products and releases as well third party products to ensure that the data platform is running the products that are most appropriate and efficient.
- Build tools and scripts that enable automation of tasks.
- Conduct design and code walk-throughs, peer reviews, testing, and produce technical-documentation for customizations you develop and the systems you implement.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced software development environment
- Experience with MySQL or other relational databases
- Experience with ElasticSearch, SOLR, or Lucene
- Experience with RabbitMQ or other distributed message brokers
- Experience with Hadoop and Kafka
- Experience developing in Java
- Open Source Contributions, Conference Participation
- Great Medical & Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSUs)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Free vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
Back to top