Sr Big Data Platform Engineer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. Technologies we work with include Cassandra, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Samza, Kafka, Kafka Streams, Mesos, Splunk and Hunk, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, multi data center architecture), Java/EE applications, Linux CentOS, and SQL Server.
What You’ll Do:
If you’re the right person for the job you will be joining the growing Cloud Engineering team focusing on our Data Platform. As a Big Data Platform Engineer, you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering excellence. The Cloud Engineering – Digital Platform team manages the infrastructure, services, and data pipelines that empower the organization to have the right information at the right time. The team consistently delivers, and has continually enjoyed a high customer satisfaction score as measured by HomeAway's engineers. You’ll be helping build tools necessary to enable horizontal scaling, provisioning, graphing, monitoring and rapid deployment on our bare metal, public and private cloud environments.
What You’ll Get:
As a member of the Digital Platform Engineering team you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting our multi-petabyte Data Platform. You’ll have the chance to work with highly powered distributed systems and the latest industry tools ensuring no chance of boredom. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a team that grows together, and people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast paced eCommerce industry all while working in an incredible office space!
- You will own the design and implementation of the software systems that power critical data-flows across the enterprise.
- You will build and maintain the data infrastructure, tooling, and upkeep of the platform.
- You will perform Administration, Performance Tuning & Capacity Planning on Large Scale Clusters (Hadoop/Kafka).
- You will be involved in prototyping, architecting, and implementing/updating the data infrastructure platform.
- You will be developing integration test suites for distributed systems.
- You are involved in usage/performance forecasting/modeling and monitoring.
- You will conduct peer reviews and code walk-throughs for infrastructure code.
- You are a self-starter and can work independently on technical projects but also work collaboratively with project team members through an agile development.
- Utilize your excellent communication skills to assist in conducting user interview sessions, requirements gathering, and design reviews.
- Programming skills; You are comfortable writing code in multiple languages, confident in choosing the right strongly or dynamically typed language for the job. Preferred language familiarity: Java (primary) with Python, Ruby, Scala, or Go (secondary).
- Database skills; You understand use cases for relational and non-relational data, you’ve implemented code against several different database platforms. Bonus: maybe you’ve even been a DBA in a past life.
- Systems administration; You’re a hardened Linux systems administrator. You have opinions on what a production ready system is. Managing and diagnosing issues on mission critical systems comes second nature. Excellent shell scripting skills are expected.
- Strong familiarity with scalable web service architecture patterns and frameworks.
- Automation; Managing infrastructure as code is the only solution in your book. You have hands on experience writing code for some of the major configuration management systems (Puppet/Chef/Ansible/etc.).
- Experience with Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka, Mesos, Spark, Splunk, Zookeeper, Puppet, Docker is preferred.
- Understanding of code promotion, CI/CD best practices, Platform as a Service Architecture, and Distributed systems orchestration.
- Understanding of schedulers, workload management, availability, scalability, load balancing.
- Application clustering / load balancing concepts and technologies
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Committed to Open Source Projects. Please provide Github links if appropriate
- Conduct code walk-throughs, peer reviews, and produce technical documentation
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
U.S. Marketing Specialist
Yaneli showcases HomeAway’s spectacular home rentals from social media to email campaigning—helping family and friends explore new and exciting travel destinations.
Back to top