Software Engineer Recent Grad (Full Time - 2018)
Software Engineer – Recent Graduate
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
When it comes to engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. As a high-growth, e-commerce company, we are searching for talented and passionate software engineers. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. We address a wide array of computer science problems including advanced web applications, cutting edge user interfaces, scalability and performance of applications, intelligent search algorithms, global data distribution and monitoring of distributed systems. You will work alongside a highly experienced team of engineers from various academic and industry backgrounds.
Challenges you can work on:
- Scale our services to more than 60k requests per second
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable payment engines that will process billions of dollars per year
- Use real-time data to understand customers’ needs before they do
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Develop a smart service layer that will allow for in-session personalization based off user behavior and data
- Scale our public API to allow other partners to leverage HomeAway services & experiences on third party sites
- Simplify core booking and listing workflow to enhance our travelers & suppliers experience
Technologies we use:
AWS, Docker, Mesos Dropwizard, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Swagger, Kafka, Node.JS, React.JS, Hadoop, NoSQL, Jersey, Jetty, KStreams, Mesos, Samza, Java 8 and Linux.
- Full stack development building applications from concept to completion
- Commit to ruthlessly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!)
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry best practices
- Work in an agile environment with QA, product management and operations
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar and TeamCity
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years overall development experience, with direct experience delivering a consumer-facing web application.
- Results oriented, self-managed individual - proven track record of delivering on your estimates with minimal oversight.
- Leads by example in all aspects of software development - simple, elegant, scalable, well tested, documented.
- Strong software development skills (configuration management, issue tracking, estimation, Agile/Scrum).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with large distributed applications is a plus as is building/operating highly available systems.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Discounted Rail and Bus Passes
This role is part of HomeAway University and starts either January 2018, or May 2018, depending on your graduation date. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
Senior HR Coordinator, EMEA
Camilla does everything to ensure that HomeAway employees have the resources they need to succeed, from welcoming new staff aboard to writing HR policies for the company.
Back to top