Software Engineer Manager
HomeAway Notifications systems provides services for communications between HomeAway, travelers and property owners. The services abstract notifications for client applications and provide channels for communications through different channels. The channels are email, SMS, voice and mobile push. The client applications have no dependency on the details of the notification channels.
The system handles a volume of notifications of over 1.5 million requests per day. It is designed to be flexible and built to scale as the volume is expected to double in the next few years.
The future of the Notifications system is to leverage natural language processing (NLP) to help identify violations of the HomeAway terms of agreement and other communication offenses. Using modern machine learning algorithms to identify violators and other scammers we will make the HomeAway system safer and provide a better user experience for both owners and travelers in an ever growing marketplace.
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1.2 million properties listed. We have millions of travelers visiting our site per year and serve more than one billion page views per month.
Our Engineering teams solves problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies every day. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing, empowering employees to come up with their own observations and ideas for improvements.
The ability to communicate between Traveler and HomeOwner in any step of the shopping funnel is essential and mission critical for the Vacation Rental business and our ambitious goal to be the leader in VR platforms. As the Engineering Manager for the Communications Platform and Services Team you will hire and develop a team of highly skilled, motivated and engaged Engineers to support this goal. You will collaborate with other development, product management, design, analytics, customer service and marketing teams, in HomeAway and the larger Expedia group, to provide and leverage Expedia wide services. As tech lead you will guide the team to understand the business goals, chose the right architecture and approach, code and refactor features yourself to build the best possible solutions for our customers.
- Hands on technical leader with 7+ years of current experience developing consumer facing web applications and participation in architectural decision-making
- Manage and lead a team of full stack Engineers following Agile methodologies
- Use your excellent communication skills to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
- Collaborate with data science, product management, technical product management, data and BI teams to develop the product
- Hire, develop and motivate great people and teams
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Participate in our innersource culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
Challenges you can work on:
- Work within a modern SOA stack using the latest cloud supported database technologies (Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Dockerize our applications and services for cloud deployment
- Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Scale systems and services to handle continuously increasing workload servicing millions of events daily
- Reactive Systems that are responsive, resilient, elastic and message driven
Technologies we use:
- Java 8, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, NoSQL, Kafka, Hadoop, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Linux, Jetty, Samza, Dropwizard, REST, JSON, RabbitMQ, Spring, email and mobile push notification protocols
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple departments and locations
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
- Experience solving for scale with micro-services and service-oriented architecture
- Commitment to quality and velocity
- Results oriented with the ability to inspire passion in others
- Relentless high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo) and uses data to make technical and product decisions
The ideal candidate would have experience in one or more of the following domains:
- Large scale data processing
- Data mining
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top