Software Engineer, Backend (Java)
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
HomeAway Notifications systems provides services for communications between HomeAway, travelers and property owners. The services abstract notifications for client applications and provide channels for communications through different channels. The channels are email, SMS, voice and mobile push. The client applications have no dependency on the details of the notification channels.
The system handles a volume of notifications of over 1.5 million requests per day. It is designed to be flexible and built to scale as the volume is expected to double in the next few years.
The future of the Notifications system is to leverage natural language processing (NLP) to help identify violations of the HomeAway terms of agreement and other communication offenses. Using modern machine learning algorithms to identify violators and other scammers we will make the HomeAway system safer and provide a better user experience for both owners and travelers in an ever growing marketplace.
HomeAway is looking for an experienced Engineer who is passionate about software, the travel marketplace, customer experience who wants to be part of a highly functional, collaborative and motivated team of full stack developers.
Challenges you can work on:
- Work within a modern SOA stack using the latest database technologies (Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Dockerize our applications and services for cloud deployment
- Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Scale systems and services to handle continuously increasing workload servicing millions of events daily
- Reactive Systems that are responsive, resilient, elastic and message driven
Technologies we use:
Java 8, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, NoSQL, Kafka, Hadoop, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Linux, Jetty, Samza, Dropwizard, REST, JSON, RabbitMQ, Spring, email and mobile push notification protocols
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple departments and locations
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
- The ideal candidate would have experience in one or more of the following domains:
- Large scale data processing
- Data mining
- Provide hands on technical leadership and participate in architectural decision-making
- Own new features from design to production release
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!)
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar and TeamCity
- Work with QA, product management, and operations in an Agile environment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Participate in our innersource culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top