HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands. We are a world leader in the holiday rental industry with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect beach house, cottage, or apartment for any getaway.
Our mission is to make every holiday rental in the world available to every traveller through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect holiday rental to create unforgettable travel memories together.
Do you love data, science, technology and coding? How about travel? Want to be part of a diverse team where all of that comes together? Want a chance to drive an extraordinary experience for travellers by connecting them with millions of holiday rental properties?
If so, then HomeAway has a Software Architect position available and we want to talk to you! We’re looking for someone who will own architecture-level work within our Java and React framework. As a technical authority, you will take a hands-on approach in coding/development and provide technical leadership to a talented team, reviewing work and setting their direction ensuring successful completion of work.
Challenges you can work on
- Developing scalable, tested and reliable applications for a fast-paced distributed SOA environment.
- Finding creative and simple solutions to challenging global problems, with a focus on getting things done in a test and learn culture.
- Providing strategically critical inputs to the organisation and driving the technical vision and roadmap.
- Evaluating, selecting and implementing new technologies that will be technical accelerators for the entire engineering community.
- Participating in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source).
- Growing a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable.
- Influencing the software development organisation to promote perfection and push world-class standard methodologies.
- Providing technical authority in the design and implementation of global solutions.
- Comfortably driving development through Agile software lifecycle from concept to production and beyond.
- Providing compliance, performance, availability and security by defining and promoting best-in-class design and coding standards.
- Participating in, and leading, architectural decisions and reviews.
- Providing hands-on technical leadership, code reviews and contribution.
- Showcasing your work on our tech blog and at internal and external conferences.
- Appreciating and enhancing a dynamic and close-knit software development team committed to mutual learning through technical leadership, peer code reviews and innovation.
Technologies we use
- Java, Node and React
- CI/CD tools, such as Maven, Git, Jenkins or TeamCity (experience essential)
Required qualifications and experience:
- Masters or Honours in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- 12+ years of experience developing highly available enterprise web applications and services with state-of-the-art Java and services technologies, embracing REST and service-oriented architectures.
- Experience in working with Agile methodologies, such as Scrum or Kanban (essential).
- Knowledge of TDD, BDD, microservices and event-driven frameworks.
- Proven ability to positively adapt to change within new work structures, processes, or requirements.
- Proven ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations, trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
- Experience collaborating on a cross-functional and cross-geography team.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
What do we offer?
Based in Woolloomooloo (the suburb of Sydney that is by far the most fun to say), our modern office has stunning 180-degree views of the Harbour. But more importantly, we pride ourselves on our flexible, transparent and empowering work culture where you’re always working with the newest tech while being able to just be yourself (our casual dress code means it’s casual Friday every day).
In addition to an attractive salary with annual targeted bonus, we offer regular social gatherings, chill-out and communal lunch areas (with table tennis!), and a range of other perks, including free drinks, snacks, fruit and breakfast.
You’ll be joining an inventive culture where you can contribute to inner source, open source, HackAway and HomeAway technical blogs. We also offer health insurance benefits and have an industry-leading New Parent Benefit Program, which is 18 weeks of primary carer leave and 12 weeks of secondary carer leave (at 100% pay).
For the exciting opportunity to join a leading Global company, transforming the travellers experience one vacation at a time - Apply now!
Back to top