Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
Challenges you can work on:
- Develop fast, highly available and reliable applications and services by scaling them to more than 60k requests per second
- Engineer smart services that will allow for in-session personalization based off user behavior and data
- Build world class feature by leveraging realtime user behavior feedback data loops and A/B testing to better understand our customer's’ needs before they do
- Share your work with your peers and participate in our Internal Open Source by delivering high quality code that levels up your team and the entire organization
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Scale our public API to allow other partners to leverage HomeAway services & experiences on third party sites
- Collect millions of traveler reviews that will help other travelers to choose their dream vacations
Technologies we use:
- Java 8, Linux, Jetty, Dropwizard, SQLServer, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Mongo, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Hadoop, Kafka, Samza, KStream
- 12+ of experience developing highly available enterprise web applications and services with state of the art Java and services technologies, embracing REST and service-oriented architecture
- Experience with micro-service designed architecture running in AWS cloud environment.
- Experience with large scale streaming systems like Kafka
- Experience with different data storage mechanisms like Cassandra or Mongo
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality software
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work well cross-functionally with multiple departments in english
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Responsible for the overall system integration design and execution by establishing relationships with other architects, engineering teams, DevOps and product management
- Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Responsible for compliance, performance, availability and security by defining and promoting best-in-class design and coding standards
- Participate in and lead architectural decisions and reviews
- Provide hands on technical leadership, code review and contribution
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Manage the technical debt by identifying opportunities to reduce it whenever it is the most relevant.
- Provide strategically critical inputs to the organization and drive the technical vision and roadmap
- Evaluate, select and implement new technologies that will be technical accelerators for the entire engineering community
- Promote software quality excellence using best-in-class tools in a continuous integration and delivery lifecyle: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar, Jenkins and TeamCity
- Participate in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source)
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Attend conferences to better understand the industry and trending best practices
- Influence the software development organizations to promote excellence and push world class best practices
- Mentor Senior and Staff software engineers in order to grow the other team members excellence
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top