Senior Software Engineer - Java
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1 million online bookable listings. We have millions of travelers visiting our site per year.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
Challenges you can work on:
- Build component based web UI architectures with modern TypeScript libraries(Angular2)
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop tools that allow teams to spin up their micro services’ persistence layers on demand in the cloud
- Scale our persistence layers across continents, while providing the necessary reliability and monitoring metrics.
- Implement single sign-on (Okta), logging (Splunk/Datadog), unit tests and integration tests forthe above applications, consistent with existing HomeAway standards.
Technologies we use:
- Node.js, Angular2, Backbone.js, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, SQLServer, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Linux, Jetty, Samza, Dropwizard, Kafka, Java8
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+years of professional Java development experience
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple department
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
- Mobile first responsive design experience
- Cross-browser development & compatibility experience
- HTML,CSS3 and Less/SASS experience
- Own new features from design to production release
- Ensure the persistence layers that we support/tool for, are easily adoptable by development teams; and provide the data security, scalability and reliability that is expected of production data.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment.
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, NewRelic, Sonar and TeamCity
- Work with QA, product management, and operations in an Agile environment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Participate in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal &external conferences
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
- Great Medical & Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Free vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
Back to top