Senior Scala Engineer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way by helping them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. A company within the Expedia portfolio, we are the world's leading online marketplace for the vacation rental industry with more than 1.2 million properties listed in 193 countries across our sites. We haveover one billion visitors per year and serve more than one billion page views per month. Given such diverse traffic, we need to be able to capture the most relevant audience at the most appropriate times.
An exciting opportunity has arisen at HomeAway for a Software Engineer within our UK team. This is a challenging role, which would suit an experienced software developer to make their mark in an innovative and growing tech company. As a Software Engineer, you will help us build highly performant and scalable real-time systems to make effective decisions on the fly, taking advantage of large distributed datasets and machine learning. Working on the full stack with a Java/Scala based RESTful web service serving a Node based UI stack, mentored by an experienced team of disciplined and collegial developers, you will be a crucial part of a fast paced environment helping us target relevant audience in a highly competitive market. Being at the forefront of engineering our marketing campaigns, in conjunction with players like Google, you will get the chance to directly impact our conversion rates, with every change you make.
The London Office:
A few of the technologies we work with include: AWS, Docker, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Kafka, NoSql, Java 8, Scala, Smaza or Spark
Our ideal candidate will:
· Develop scalable, secure, tested and reliable applications for a distributed SOA environment
· Be comfortable in the agile software lifecycle from concept to production and beyond
· Appreciate and enhance a dynamic and close-knit software development team committed to mutual learning through peer code reviews and innovation
· Find creative and simple solutions to challenging problems
· Be encouraged to participate in HomeAway’s inventive culture including HackAway and Kitchen Talks
· 5+ years professional development experience, with demonstrated Java/Scala web application expertise
· Familiarity with multiple programming languages and an ability/willingness to learn more
· Experience with Java/Scala based REST and service-oriented architecture
· Experience with continuous delivery and integration tools like Maven, git and TeamCity
· Experience of TDD/BDD testing frameworks.
· Experience managing and monitoring a production environment with tools such as Splunk or New Relic.
· Strong software development skills (configuration management, issue tracking, estimation, Agile/Scrum).
· Fluency in SQL and or NoSQL data models
· Experience in the E-commerce or Travel Industries is a plus
· Knowledge of some of AWS, Docker, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Kafka, NoSql, Java 8, Scala, Smaza or Spark
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
Will oversees several teams of developers, working with them in designing and building software solutions for successfully marketing HomeAway listings to customers.
Back to top