Senior Revenue Accountant
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
HomeAway has an exciting opportunity for a passionate, high energy Senior Revenue Accountant reporting to the North America Revenue Manager in its Austin, Texas headquarters. HomeAway, a member of the Expedia family of brands, based in Austin, Texas, is the world’s leading online marketplace of vacation rentals, with sites representing more than 1M paid vacation rental home listings throughout 190 countries. HomeAway® offers an extensive selection of vacation homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
With direct responsibility for applying and updating revenue recognition policy guidance, the Accountant will drive monthly and quarterly close activities for revenue, own validation and reconciliation of all revenue related accounts, analyze high volumes of transactional data, manage auditor requests, and will work closely with cross functional departments such as Sales, FP&A, Product Management and Legal. Drawing on previous experience with transactional revenue systems and data analysis for a high volume business, the Accountant will play a critical role in new product and system implementations in the rapidly growing online vacation rental business.
To be successful, the candidate must be a high-energy, hands-on individual that has the ability to work independently and provide advanced accounting expertise in support of the company’s revenue drivers and initiatives.
- Maintain and enforce the Company's revenue recognition policy
- Propose alternative structuring of deals to accommodate revenue recognition and business criteria
- Ensure the proper accounting treatment for all product and service offerings is documented
- Ensure compliance with U.S. GAAP, as well as with emerging accounting standards
- Stay current on evolving Accounting Standards announcements and updates under prevailing regulatory bodies (FASB, SEC), incorporating into current Company policy as necessary
- Assist with SOX process and controls to ensure compliance
- Maintain reconciliation of GAAP reporting to internal operating metrics
- Streamline systems and reporting tools to ensure efficient and accurate recording and proper classification of revenue
- Manage monthly revenue accounting close efforts, including invoicing, contract analysis, procedures and preparation of monthly revenue, deferred revenue and accounts receivable reconciliations
- Reconcile and analyze all revenue and receivables related accounts including revenue, deferred revenue, accounts receivable, bad debt expense and reserve, and commission expense and accrual
- Assist in the quarterly and year-end audit process, actively working with external auditors to ensure that the interpretation of revenue recognition accounting standards is consistent and compliant with GAAP
- Liaise with external auditors regarding revenue and proactively resolve all revenue-related issues
- Ensure timely customer receivables collections and manage collections issues
- Bachelors in Finance or Accounting.
- 7-10 years corporate and/or public accounting experience.
- Prior experience with high volume transactional revenue systems and data analysis required
- Strong proficiency with Excel.
- Experience with revenue recognition guidance.
- Experience with revenue and deferred revenue reconciliations and journal entries.
- Detail-oriented with great organizational skills, and a willingness to dive into the details.
- Proven experience being proactive to improve and document departmental processes.
- Ability to interpret and research accounting guidance.
- Self-motivated, deadline oriented, fast-learner, who is a dedicated, hands-on team player with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Execution focused, with the ability to take individual responsibility for delivering quality work in a timely manner.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong process and system skills, as well as the ability to work effectively across functions to resolve problems.
- Experience with Oracle and SalesForce.com a plus.
- CPA or actively pursuing a CPA.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
U.S. Marketing Specialist
Yaneli showcases HomeAway’s spectacular home rentals from social media to email campaigning—helping family and friends explore new and exciting travel destinations.
Back to top