Senior Director of Engineering for Mobile Apps
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. With over one million live vacation rental listings in 190 countries, we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. We have over one billion visitors per year and serve more than one billion page views per month, and our mobile applications have been downloaded millions of times.
Our broader mission as part of the Expedia portfolio is to revolutionize travel through the power of technology.
- We are passionate about travel: We are a company of travelers who wake up every day with passion for what we do
- We are innovative: We use our collective intelligence to invent technology and create products to simplify and improve travel for our customers and partners.
- We are enterprising: We relentlessly seek out opportunity. We take risks, act with speed and purpose, and always find a way to remove obstacles and get the job done.
We are searching for a highly technical Senior Director of Engineering for Mobile to join our team in Austin, Texas. We’re looking for a leader who will drive the development and innovation of the HomeAway suite of native mobile applications for the iOS and Android platforms. The mobile team at HomeAway is responsible for separate applications geared towards our traveler, vacation rental owner, and property manager customers. From product strategy, to technical design, to delivery and optimization, your role is to deliver a superior suite of products and services that will delight our customers, while creating a working environment where top technical talent will thrive.
- As our Senior Director of Engineering for Mobile you will lead the software engineers on our mobile application “pods” organized around traveler vacation rental booking, traveler post booking and hospitality, supplier experience, and services.
- You will direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operations of a team of highly skilled software developers. In addition, you will manage all the operational aspects of the software development teams to ensure business and product objectives are met.
- As a technical leader, you will be responsible for maintaining and raising engineering and operational standards by mentoring and reviewing the work of your team and continuing to recruit top talent. You will be responsible for leading teams through rapidly evolving complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal organizations.
-You will work closely with senior leaders, customers, design, product management, business intelligence and customer support to maintain and enhance existing products as well as to develop new products.
Successful candidates will embrace full accountability for their cross-functional pods and project delivery in a fast paced and positively competitive environment. Our leaders understand and embody the 'One Team' philosophy. Successful leaders generally receive continuous investment to grow their teams and scope of impact.
In addition the qualified candidate will have the following experience:
- 10+ years experience leading high performance technology teams, creating a wake of business value (delivery results) and top talent (people)
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, engage and rotate superior talent
- Experience with leading teams across multiple locations and successfully worked with globally distributed teams and vendors
- Experience with leading large teams with a bias for coaching leadership, and building a strong succession chain of talent
- Demonstrated ability to lead a 50+ person team(s) and double it in an aggressive timeline
- Led teams through fast paced development cycles; committed to automation, agile, lean-startup, continuous delivery approach
- Experience in data driven decision making and multivariate testing to drive conversion
- Passion for building excellent products and consumer experiences, and proven track record of delivering innovation and industry leading products
- Experience delivering successful apps to the Apple App Store and Google Play Stores with large customer bases and great ratings and reviews
- Accomplished leader able to articulate general approach to leading people and technology
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technically complicated topics
Competencies, Knowledge and Behavior:
Passion for Results: Drive high standards for individual, team, and organizational accomplishment; tenaciously work to meet or exceed challenging goals; derive satisfaction from goal achievement and continuous improvement.
Compelling Communication and Influence Skills: Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas to individuals and groups. Create and execute influencing strategies that persuade key stakeholders to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals.
Analytical Skills: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues; commit to an action plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria; proactively and quickly make sense of complex issues; responding effectively to complex and ambiguous situations.
Business Acumen: Demonstrate a keen understanding of basic business operations and the organizational levers (systems, processes, departments, functions) that drive profitable growth; draws from personal experience to quickly evaluate business plans and processes to identify data or recommendations that need further investigation.
Build and Maintain High Performing Organizations: Establish systems and processes to attract, develop, engage, and retain talented individuals; creating a work environment where people can realize their full potential; thus, allowing the organization to meet current and future business challenges.
- Great medical and dental plans
- Highly competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSUs)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Unlimited vacation
- Free vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks and snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
Back to top