Senior Data Scientist - Revenue Management
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 2 million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. As for engineering,we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
The Revenue Management team at HomeAway is growing fast and adding a Data Scientist to the mix. From modeling demand, building forecasts and price response functions, we are working to help property owners maximize their occupancy and revenue on the platform. Unlike the hotel or airline space, our owners aren’t studied statisticians - they could be anyone. Building a scalable and intuitive self-service revenue management system is no easy task. Our team will be challenged by data problems,story-telling, education and design. The opportunity is so promising that the revenue management teams is one of the central investments for the future of HomeAway.
As a Data Scientist on the Revenue Management Team, you’ll play a major role in how we architect, visualize, and interpret critical data that is at the very core of our business. You’ll partner with our leaders to understand objectives, and then work alongside our Analysts and Engineers to execute and communicate findings back to the business through visualizations and presentations. Simply put – we want you to be HomeAway’s leading expert on data and predictive analytics for revenue management.
- Work with the team on demand modeling, forecasting and dynamic pricing
- Devise techniques for model localization, calibration,monitoring and alerts
- Be aware of data streams captured in the company in any format (structured, unstructured, semi-structured, external API etc.) and how to overcome their obstacles
- Assist others in the company in data discovery and data preparation phase
- Work closely with various Product, Business and Engineering teams
- Understand the “big picture” our data presents and frame analytic problem statements in response to business and product challenges
- Be an expert in the Exploratory phase and prescriptive analysis - i.e build and assess models, review results, etc.
- Articulate storytelling to business stakeholders - focus on telling the “business” story (abstracting data complexities and processes)and influencing the audience
- 8+ years of experience in Data Science and analytics fields with projects from ideation to production
- Experience working in internet-based/eCommerce/travel industry is preferred
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python,or Scala
- Experience in processing and analyzing large scale data volumes for semi-structured and unstructured data at near real-time throughput
- Experience working in Hadoop ecosystem, Spark, strong alternative database knowledge and expertise in SQL
- Experience building various machine learning models and implementation in a production system
- Revenue management or pricing domain expertise strongly preferred
- Masters or Ph.D in Decision Systems, Operations Research, Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Market Economics
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top