Research Data Scientist
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1.2 million properties listed in over 190 countries. We have millions of travelers visiting our site per year and serve millions of page views per month. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together. As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
Do you love data? Really love data? How about vacations, do you love vacations too? Want a job where you can swipe right for both data and vacations? If so, then HomeAway has a Data Scientist role for you…
HomeAway connects millions of people taking vacations with millions vacation rental properties. These connections generate rich, diverse, and varied data: textual, numerical, machine-generated, visual, structured, semi-structured, and unstructured. Understanding all aspects of this data is key to HomeAway’s success, and we’re hoping you can help. Examples of your impact on the company include:
- Exploring our wealth of textual and visual information for hidden meanings, thereby revealing untold riches (“natural language processing”, “computer
- Helping to define our “Big Data” infrastructure, and building out the “Big Compute” solutions (“Hadoop / Spark / H2O / TensorFlow”).
- Predicting efficient HomeAway customer experiences based on (possibly limited) information about our site’s visitors (“Machine Learning”, “Agent Based
Modeling”, “Deep Learning”).
- Leveraging Expedia, Inc. data (e.g. hotel and airline bookings) to make better HomeAway-related decisions.
- Telling the story of the data to C-level leadership and the entire company (“Storytelling”).
You are someone who:
- Has at minimum, two years of post graduation industry experience working on data science efforts.
- Demonstrates an innovative vision and has built products that were proven successful in solving or providing answers to real-world, big-data problems.
- Has public source code repositories in R, Java, Scala, SQL, and/or Python.
- Competes in Kaggle (or related) data science competitions (and maybe even won a few).
- Earned a MS or PhD in a quantitative field (Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Economics, Computer Science).
- Values problem solving and the ability to think over buzzword bingo
- Can connect data to the purpose of HomeAway.
- Wants to assume a role that provides opportunities to gain mastery. Every. Single. Day.
A successful candidate will join a small team of similarly-skilled Data Scientists and Engineers executing a mission to research current advances in industry and academia and to turn those advances into leading-edge products and projects.
- Great Medical & Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSUs)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Free vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
To understand the mission of HomeAway watch our ad by Prince EA, Working to Live or Living to Work, on our YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRldP18bH8!
Visit our Tech Blog at http://tech.homeaway.com
Back to top