Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1 million online bookable properties.
Our broader mission as part of the Expedia portfolio is to Revolutionize Travel through the Power of Technology.
- We are Passionate about Travel: We are a company of travelers who wake up every day with passion for what we do.
- We are Innovative: We use our collective intelligence to invent technology and create products to simplify and improve travel for our customers and partners.
- We are Enterprising: We relentlessly seek out opportunity. We take risks, act with speed and purpose, and always find a way to remove obstacles and get the job done.
HomeAway is looking for a talented Principle Software Development Engineer to join our Marketplace technology team. As a member of the Marketplace team, you will be working on state of the art on technology to create and grow a new Marketplace for the HomeAway’s 1 Million+ properties. The business opportunity is massive, and will require technical talent with expertise in managing 24x7, high-scale, distributed systems amidst an lean/agile development & delivery environment where we aim to innovate for our customers, continuously.
Competencies, Knowledge and Behavior:
- Passion for Results: Drive high standards for individual, team, and organizational accomplishment
- Compelling Communication and Influence Skills: Create and execute influencing strategies that persuade key stakeholders to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals.
- Analytical Skills: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues; commit to an action plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria;proactively and quickly make sense of complex issues; responding effectively to complex and ambiguous situations.
- Technical Acumen: A master of high scale, resilient distributed systems, with a keen understanding industry standards & technologies, and proven ability to keep pace with an ever changing Internet industry & state of open source communities.
Our technology leaders understand and embody the 'One Team' philosophy. They find creative ways to implement learning from ideas like Agile, Lean, and Continuous Delivery. In addition successful leaders adopt a ScientificMethod in many aspects for leadership, management, delivery and operations. Successful leaders generally receive continuous investment to grow their teams and scope of impact.
In addition a qualified candidate will have the following experience:
- 10+ years experience leading &influencing high performance technology teams, by example.
- Demonstrable passion for excellent Products and dazzling Customer Experiences, and proven track record for delivery of innovation & industry leading products.
- Accomplished leader able to simplify highly technical complex issues, and articulate fluidly across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrate deep experience in high-scale internet, e-commerce services, service oriented architectures, and domain driven design.
- Full stack development experience with experience in large scale Design and Development.
- Strong architecture design skills and ability to communicate and drive adoption.
- Experience architecting complex server-side & client-side web applications.
- Demonstrate a bias for coaching up a strong succession of talent.
- Experience in data driven decision making and multivariate testing to drive conversion.
- Ideal candidates will have direct experience in Travel, E-commerce, Internet platforms, B2B supply eco-systems& experiences, API development suites, cloud technologies, and running 24x7high scale operations.
- Help lead the overall technical design and architecture for Agent Tools and provide leadership & mentorship for quality coding and best practices.
- Collaborate with our Business Partners, Technical analysts, Testers and Production Support Engineers to implement technical requirements.
- Effectively builds and maintains a network of key contacts across company and leverages these contacts to achieve results. Demonstrates proficiency in most areas of the professional function and in-depth specialization in some.
- Will have comprehensive understanding of the organization's current software applications and tools and in-depth knowledge of programming languages and systems important to the organization.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and technical skills.
- Ability to work independently, and focus on the right problem at the right time.
- Knowledge and experience in very wide range of Web technologies including HTTP, REST, Jscript, Java, JQuery,SpringMVC, GitHub, Docker, AWS (AmazonEC2, E3, etc), Scala, C#, MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase, MySQL, Memcache, Redis, MapReduce, Hadoop, and more.
- 10+ years experience & bachelors degree computer science or related engineering degree.
- Prefer a Master’s Degree with a focus in computer science or related technology.
- Prefer proven track record of self-development with continuous engagement in Technical & Leadership training.
- Prefer experience in high-scale consumer or b2b facing internet solutions, and ideally experience in both E-commerce.
- Great Medical & Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive Pay
- Target Annual Bonus
- 4 weeks Paid Vacation
- Employee Purchase Discount Plan
- Discounted vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free Listing on HomeAway.com
- Discounted Metro Bus & Rail pass
- Electronic adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
U.S. Marketing Specialist
Yaneli showcases HomeAway’s spectacular home rentals from social media to email campaigning—helping family and friends explore new and exciting travel destinations.
Back to top