Director of Engineering, Identity Technology
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
Our broader mission as part of the Expedia portfolio is to Revolutionize Travel through the Power of Technology.
- We are Passionate about Travel: We are a company of travelers who wake up every day with passion for what we do.
- We are Innovative: We use our collective intelligence to invent technology and create products to simplify and improve travel for our customers and partners.
- We are Enterprising: We relentlessly seek out opportunity. We take risks, act with speed and purpose, and always find a way to remove obstacles and get the job done.
HomeAway is looking for a talented Director of Engineering to join our Identity engineering team. As a member of the Identity team, you will be working on state of the art technology to leverage all known data about people to maximize HomeAway and Expedia's revenue. This includes using profile information to drive programmatic traffic acquisition at the highest possible ROI, drive higher customer conversion, and re-engage customers to turn first time travelers into lifetime vacation rental travel fans. Sources of data can include user-volunteered data, social network links, acquired data and inferred data. Bottom line: We want to know our customers better than they know themselves, leveraging this information to get them to book the perfect vacation via us every time. The business opportunity is massive, and will require technical talent with expertise in managing 24x7, high-scale, distributed systems amidst a lean/agile development & delivery environment where we aim to innovate for our customers, continuously.
As our Director of Engineering you will lead multiple software engineering teams. You will direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operations of a team of highly skilled software developers. In addition, you will manage all the operational aspects of the software development teams to ensure business and product objectives are met. As a technical leader, you will be responsible for maintaining and raising engineering and operational standards by mentoring and reviewing the work of your team and continuing to recruit top talent. You will be responsible for leading teams through rapidly evolving complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal organizations. You will work closely with management, customers, design, product management, database content and customer support to maintain and enhance existing products as well as to develop new products.
Competencies, Knowledge and Behavior:
- Passion for Results: Drive high standards for individual, team, and organizational accomplishment
- Compelling Communication and Influence Skills: Create and execute influencing strategies that persuade key stakeholders to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals
- Analytical Skills: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues; commit to an action plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria; proactively and quickly make sense of complex issues; responding effectively to complex and ambiguous situations
- Technical Acumen: A master of high scale, resilient distributed systems, with a keen understanding of industry standards & technologies, and proven ability to keep pace with an ever changing Internet industry, as well as keeping up with the state of open source communities
- Servant Leadership: As a leader of high growth talent, commit to fostering a culture of coaching, leading by example, and empowerment amidst a lean-startup (agile) development environment, where we learn by doing with trust in our people and science to discover the optimal path to business success
Our technology leaders understand and embody the 'One Team' philosophy. They find creative ways to implement learning from ideas like Agile, Lean, and Continuous Delivery. In addition, successful leaders adopt a Scientific Method in many aspects for leadership, management, delivery and operations. Successful leaders generally receive continuous investment to grow their teams and scope of impact.
In addition, a qualified candidate will have the following experience:
- 10+ year’s experience leading high performance technology teams, creating a wake of business value(delivery results) and top talent (people)
- Demonstrable passion for excellent Products and dazzling Customer Experiences, and proven track record for delivery of innovation & industry leading products
- Accomplished leader able to simplify highly technical complex issues, and articulate fluidly across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrate deep experience in high-scale internet, service oriented architectures, and domain driven design
- Full stack development experience with experience in large scale Design and Development
- Strong architecture design skills and ability to communicate and drive adoption
- Experience architecting complex server-side & client-side web applications
- Demonstrate a bias for coaching up a strong succession of talent
- Experience in machine learning and data driven decision making and multivariate testing to drive conversion
- Ideal candidates will have direct experience in Travel, Internet platforms, Mobile applications, cloud technologies, and running 24x7 high scale operations.
- Help lead the overall technical design and architecture and provide leadership & mentorship for quality coding and best practices
- Collaborate with our Business Partners, Technical analysts, Testers and Production Support Engineers to implement technical requirements
- Effectively builds and maintains a network of key contacts across company and leverages these contacts to achieve results. Demonstrates proficiency in most areas of the professional function and in-depth specialization in some
- Excellent organizational, communication, and technical skills
- Ability to work independently, and focus on the right problem at the right time
- Knowledge and experience in very wide range of Web technologies including Java, HTTP, REST, Jscript, SpringMVC, GitHub, Docker, AWS (Amazon EC2, E3, etc), MongoDB, Elastic Search, Cassandra, HBase, MySQL, Hadoop, Kafka and more
- 10+ year’s experience& Bachelor’s degree computer science or related engineering degree
- Prefer a Master’s Degree with a focus in computer science or related technology.
- Prefer proven track record of self-development with continuous engagement in Technical & Leadership training
- Prefer experience in high-scale consumer or b2b facing internet solutions, and ideally experience in Identity
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
U.S. Marketing Specialist
Yaneli showcases HomeAway’s spectacular home rentals from social media to email campaigning—helping family and friends explore new and exciting travel destinations.
Back to top