Director, Global Editorial
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
About Global Creative Studio
The Global Creative Studio (GCS) is an international, multi-disciplinary group of creatives with a deep curiosity about the world and an undeniable passion for travel. As part of the Global Brand and Integrated Marketing team, we’re responsible for imagining, developing, and delivering high-caliber, multimedia marketing programs to engage and inform our travelers (B2C) and property owners/managers (B2B). We’re the dreamers and doers behind global and regional marketing campaigns, always-on editorial channels, and technical initiatives that include content automation and scalability. We seek the industry’s best storytellers, visual artists, and technical experts to grow and thrive with us as we tell the HomeAway story around the world.
GCS is seeking an experienced Global Editorial Director to build and manage an international team of storytellers in the pursuit of rapid learning through content experimentation. Our agile pods of content creators are a mix of data-obsessed writers, videographers, producers, designers, and technologists working in a generative testing environment. As the Editorial Director, you will oversee the creation and testing of a wide variety of content and formats from snackable viral quizzes and videos to higher-end reputation pieces. You will lead and mentor the existing team as well as hire and scale our content efforts into new geographies, helping us embrace new and innovative ways to tell stories on the web.Reporting to the Senior Director of Creative & Content Marketing, you will also collaborate as part of the creative leadership team responsible for enacting the brand vision and refining the brand look/feel/tone of voice. You’ll support overall audience development for our brands, as well as help build and refine the tools we use to reach them.
- Lead the editorial team whose content creation and testing feeds our innovation and merchandising pipelines.
- Take a forward-looking approach to content, embracing and helping to define cutting-edge editorial strategies. In short, support us as we write the new playbook on content.
- Mentor and develop a growing team of content creators with the support and structure they need to be individually and collectively successful.
- Lead the testing into new and emerging audiences, channels and formats to support insight generation and strategy development, using content as your guide.
- Bring a disciplined, scientific approach to creative development, using testing frameworks as enablers, not constraints, to your creativity.
- Foster an environment of experiential learning and innovation whereby all team members are able to conceive, create, test and learn from the results of their unique content ideas.
- Maintain exceptional relationships across the business with those who create, deploy and/or utilize our content including marketing, product, engineering, CMS and business intelligence teams.
- Select and vet third-party content partners to ensure the full scope of editorial work needed to run the business is completed, on-brand and delivering value.
- Find untapped opportunities to engage our employee and partner bases in content initiatives and effectively leverage user generated content in your work.
- 10+ years of newsroom-style editorial experience, at least 3 of those should be in a leadership role at a cutting-edge consumer media, professional news or entertainment organization.
- Experience overseeing an editorial team of at least 15+ content creators and editors in fast-paced environment. Bonus points if the team was international.
- Serious creative chops across a variety of digital media and formats including but not limited to long- and short-form articles; investigative pieces; brochureware, slideshows and guides; short- and long-form video; Live video; and snackable content such as lists, quizzes, and the like. You have a portfolio of content that people want to share and engage and appreciate that great content comes in many shapes and sizes.
- Native understanding of the social web and core content marketing channels including blogs, newsfeeds, social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and SnapChat); has a solid understanding of why content on those platforms becomes popular.
- Facility with digital content tools and analytics across content creation, packaging, publishing and tracking including but not limited to: CMS, DAM, Social Media consoles, and analytics packages;
- Ability to interpret data and analytics to inform content and audience testing roadmap.
- Inveterate traveler and modern pop cultural anthropologist with demonstrated background in Travel, Hospitality, Lifestyle, Fashion, or related verticals.
- Thorough understanding of the social web, copyright issues, and media law.
Critical Success Factors:
- Insatiable curiosity; you are a deeply inquisitive person who enjoys poking at the world from every angle and kicking the tires on dated ideas and “best practices”.
- Cultural and travel obsessive with an interest and understanding of creating, promoting, and distributing shareable content across multiple platforms.
- Agile mindset; even if you’re not formally Agile-trained, you have an entrepreneurial, innovation-oriented approach to your work.
- Able to strike the right balance between the speed of innovation and the speed of the corporate machine; you are collaborative and team-spirited and also able to keep things moving and hold people accountable for individual and team results.
- Leads through empowering; understands that the best results come from putting the responsibility and accountability closest to the maker.
- Optimistic. Maintains a positive energy that inspires those around you.
- High-performance orientation with an appreciation for working smarter not harder.
- Ambitious. Doesn’t cave to constraints, but rather takes them in stride while continuing to purse greatness.
- Comfort with ambiguity; able to build structure around oneself and one’s team where structure is currently lacking.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top