Data Scientist - Marketing (Programmatic Emailing)
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are looking for excellent Data Scientists to join our growing 20+ strong team. This position focuses on the measurement and optimization of advertising expenditure, so it is a good fit for those with backgrounds such as operations research, economics and marketing science, however we will consider qualified candidates from any technical background. This role will work closely with our marketing team to drive traffic to our massive e-commerce marketplace. The statistical learning algorithms you develop will impact tens of millions of dollars of advertising each year.
Challenges to Work On:
- Experience working with programmatic email marketing.
- Understand how programmatic advertising in email works.
- Optimize advertising based on user feedback from online ads.
- Build machine learning-based segmentation/cohort models.
- Develop novel marketing relevant testing strategies.
- Stay at the state of the art in advertising measurement by attending at the top conferences.
- Work on larger programs/initiatives encompassing several projects that have a company-wide impact.
- Apply best-in-class machine learning techniques to solve the business problem at hand.
- Produce novel insights with machine learning to inform company strategy.
- Assist others with data discovery and data preparation phase.
- Help build the core feedback loops to optimize advertising expenditure.
- Work end-to-end on studio projects that you conceive, develop and land as a winner in the company.
- 3+ years of experience in Data Science and analytics fields.
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python, or Scala Experience in processing and analyzing large scale data volumes, semi-structured and unstructured data and near real-time throughput.
- Experience applying the right ML model to solve business problems.
- Ability and passion to learn new techniques to stay on the cutting edge.
- Experience working in Hadoop ecosystem.
- Strong database knowledge and expertise in SQL.
- Experience using visualization tools such as Tableau and Datameer.
- Good storytelling and presentation skills i.e be able to present business side of the story that data presents to c-team and business leaders.
- Masters or Ph.D in Statistics, Math, Computer Science or other quantitative field.
Required skills and experience:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- You should have 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- Good foundation of Agile principles and practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well across multiple departments
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
Will oversees several teams of developers, working with them in designing and building software solutions for successfully marketing HomeAway listings to customers.
Back to top