Data Platform Architect
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million bookable properties.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. Technologies we work with include: Cassandra, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Samza, Kafka, Mesos, Splunk and Hunk, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, Direct Connect), Java/EE applications, Linux CentOS, SQL Server, etc....
HomeAway is looking for a talented data architect to design, implement and scale its data infrastructure. If you have passion for data, have expertise in data modeling, exploring new data technology, the ability to convert complex requirements into efficient data layer, and enjoy working in a fast paced environment with talented Engineers, this is the job for you!
- Define the data architecture to optimize the overall application.
- Work with leadership to set the direction of our data technology platform.
- Give presentations and feedback to stakeholders about data and technology initiatives.
- Investigate and determine applicability of noSQL, document database, and cloud technologies.
- Identify and monitor metrics and kpi’s to assess effectiveness.
- Design and implement information systems for scalability performance, and reliability.
- Participate in corporate architecture team and reviews.
- Design and implement complex data models.
- Mentor/develop database engineers.
- Define/enhance standards, best practices and processes.
- Experience with Non-Relational Databases: document databases, key value databases, graph databases -- Cassandra, OrientDB, Couchbase, MongoDB, Hadoop, Hive, Pig.
- Experience with any existing Cloud Service Provider (e.g. Amazon EC2, Google, or Microsoft Azure).
- Expert in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Experience in design and architecture of high traffic/high availability systems.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and be self-directed.
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of code promotion, version control, and QA procedures.
- Familiarity with other RDBMS – Oracle, MySQl, Postgres
- Great Medical &Dental Plans
- Highly Competitive salary
- Target annual bonus
- Company stock (RSU's)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Ability to work up to two weeks in any of our offices around the world on a yearly basis
- Free drinks & snacks
- Weekly company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Stand up desk
- Casual dress code
Back to top