Data Insight Analyst (A/B Testing Expert)
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
You have the opportunity to join HomeAway’s global Analytics & Data Insights team in Austin (Texas). The mission of the team is to enable stakeholders with strategic and operational insights that allow them to make better decisions. Our culture is one that strives to solve difficult problems through rigorous hypothesis-based testing, empowering people to come up with ideas and data-driven solutions quickly. Our team is passionate about learning the drivers of the business and leveraging data, technology and analytics to provide valuable data insights that drive the company’s critical business decisions.
We are looking for an A/B testing expert: someone skilled in statistics and mathematics, and who has experience using those skill across an organization to drive robust and reliable results from A/B tests. This person will be responsible for setting policies around A/B testing; ensuring that teams abide by those policies; coaching teams on best practices; ensuring that our A/B testing platform provides the right metrics in alignment with those policies so that we can move rapidly; and that our methodologies and statistics are appropriately tuned to balance speed and accuracy and thereby maximize impact. She/he will report to our head of Product Analytics, but will work cross-functionally with all of our Product, Marketing and Development teams.
- Be a HomeAway data guru - be the point of contact for all A/B test-related data questions and insights, and drive data collection robustness across the organization.
- Partner with and help drive the agenda for the A/B Testing Platform team, ensuring we can track all the right metrics/segments based on collaboration with other product/business teams and the broader Analytics team.
- Determine appropriate policies and significance levels for all test types, and ensure the automated readout platform provides easy measurement against those standards
- Help train contractors who will validate the data coming out of our automated readout platform as we add new metrics and segments.
- Drive ongoing automation of test readouts leveraging our A/B testing platform, saving time for analysts and then helping them understand test results and potential ways we could dig further into results to find additional insights.
- Monitor industry and competitor best practices to ensure that HomeAway is taking advantage of the latest advancements and thinking around A/B testing.
- Help HomeAway broadly find the right balance between speed and certainty, using new methods and applying appropriate standards to different test types to get the most value out of our testing
- Ensure manual readouts done outside our automated platform similarly use appropriate statistical methods and abide by all standards
- Serve as one of two parties approving any exceptions to our normal testing policies
- Partner with the Technology and Engineering teams to ensure continuous improvement in data collection and underlying data systems to adequately support advancements in our data products and improve our insights
- Passion for testing and comfortable with change, with a constant emphasis on ensuring the team is using best practices
- Able to work across different business units/countries to communicate findings and push analytical practices company-wide
- Willingness and ability to influence a diverse group of customers, pushing them to change how we operate based on the natural evolutions of A/B testing, with an ability to “sell” these changes effectively
- Flexible and enthusiastic, with ability to prioritize effectively and deliver results in a constantly-evolving environment
- Able to work independently and proactively, identifying issues and raising them to management, as well as offering potential solutions
- Strong organization skills, and an ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Bachelor degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics or Computer Science and 7+ years of experience in data analytics and/or testing, OR Masters degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics or Computer Science and 4+ years of experience
- 3+ years focused on A/B testing at an ecommerce company preferred but not required
- Significant experience with SQL required. Meaningful experience with big data platforms/languages (Hadoop, Hive) and other coding languages (Python, Scala) strongly preferred
- Proven experience working with web analytics and visualization platforms (egs: Google Analytics/Big Query, Tableau) to create self-service visualizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrable ability to deliver compelling fact-based presentations
- Past experience operating in Scrum/agile methodology
- Must be fluent in English
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
Senior HR Coordinator, EMEA
Camilla does everything to ensure that HomeAway employees have the resources they need to succeed, from welcoming new staff aboard to writing HR policies for the company.
Back to top