Back End Engineer
An exciting opportunity has arisen at HomeAway for a Back End Developer within our UK team. This is an exciting role, which would suit an experienced software developer to make their mark in an innovative and growing tech company. To help millions of travellers looking for great places to stay in for their vacations, HomeAway, along with all the sites in its portfolio, needs to be at the forefront of their travel planning. We are developing technological solutions to automate the process of sending the right marketing message to the right customer at the right time in the right advertising platform.
To help millions of travellers looking for great places to stay in for their vacations, HomeAway, along with all the sites in its portfolio, needs to be at the forefront of their travel planning.
We are developing technological solutions to automate the process of sending the right marketing message to the right customer at the right time in the right advertising platform. We generate product feeds by leveraging data streamed from many sources. crunching content from a large amounts of data in the cloud from multiple data sources and distributing this to advertising platforms (Google, Facebook and Criteo) millions of times a day. Using machine learning on customer behaviour, current trends, geo and event information, we automate the process of smart bidding on various platforms to drive customer visits to HomeAway and help them find their dream vacation.
As a Back End Developer, you will help us build highly performant and scalable real-time systems to make effective decisions on the fly, taking advantage of large distributed datasets and machine learning.
Working primarily on a backend stack with a Java/Scala based streaming system, leveraging various web services and mentored by an experienced team of disciplined developers, you will be a crucial part of a fast paced environment helping us target relevant audience in a highly competitive market. Being at the forefront of engineering sophisticated solutions with a focus on marketing, in conjunction with players like Google and Facebook, you will get the chance to directly impact our conversion rates, with every change you make.
- Develop scalable, tested and reliable applications for a really fast paced distributed SOA environment
- Be comfortable in the agile software lifecycle from concept to production and beyond
- Appreciate and enhance a dynamic and close-knit software development team committed to mutual learning through peer code reviews and innovation
- Find creative and simple solutions to challenging problems, with a focus on getting things done and a test & learn culture
- Be encouraged to participate in HomeAway’s inventive culture including contributing to open source, HackAway and Kitchen Talks
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience with continuous delivery and integration tools like Maven, Git, and TeamCity
- Knowledge of TDD and BDD frameworks
- Experience with large scale streaming systems like Kafka
- Experience with different data storage mechanisms like Cassandra
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies, such as Scrum and Kanban
- Experience collaborating on a cross-functional team
- Strong problem solving capability
- Familiarity with REST and service-oriented architecture
- Experience in E-commerce or Travel Industries is a plus
- Familiarity with multiple programming languages and an ability/willingness to learn
What do we have to offer?
Based in Victoria, with The Queen as a neighbor, we are proud to say without a doubt that you will work in a modern office environment with THE Best Views of London: No more sightseeing needed for you.
In addition to an attractive salary with annual targeted bonus, we offer regular social gatherings like our monthly “HomeAway Bar”, chill-out and lunch areas and a range of other benefits including free drinks, snacks/fruit and breakfast.
- 25 days annual leave + Bank Holidays
- Relaxed Dress Down; every day is Dress Down Friday
- Excellent on the job training and on-going core skills development
- Life assurance
- Child care vouchers
- Private Health Care
- Access to pension scheme
- Salary Protection scheme
- Annual appraisal and salary review
For more information about HomeAway, please visit www.HomeAway.com
Check us out on https://www.themuse.com/companies/homeaway/office/london
To let us know you are interested, click apply
We look forward to welcoming you to our team!
Meet Some of HomeAway's Employees
VP, Information Systems
Shanaz develops and manages various aspects of the HomeAway technological platform. She oversees HomeAway's database, analytics, CRM, and ERP systems.
Back to top