We’re looking for a smart, motivated, and energetic Systems Administrator with solid Linux experience to join our Systems and Network team. In this role, you’d oversee the support and development of the systems behind our production website, including our Dev/QA environment. Our website sees nearly 10 million unique visitors each month (and traffic is growing), so ensuring that our systems can support that volume without going down is of utmost importance. That makes the Systems Administrator role critical to our business. You will be joining a small team of seasoned pros who cover a wide spectrum of skills and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. While this role would primarily support (and work from) the Golden, CO Headquarters, you’d also provide remote support to our other offices, and may need to travel to our co-lo facility in Aurora, CO.
Who we are and what we do:
HomeAdvisor.com is the industry-leading online marketplace connecting homeowners to pre-screened home services professionals in their area. Since 1999, we’ve helped over 35 million homeowners complete their projects, and currently help more than 125,000 professionals find qualified leads for their business. With now nearly 2000 employees across 6 sites and a half-billion dollars in annual revenue, we’re one of Colorado’s biggest start-up success stories. Our Headquarters has been named one of Denver’s Top Workplaces for each of the last 4 years, and we’re widely known for a flexible, casual work environment focused on productivity and contribution.
- As part of system administration team, covering support responsibilities for HomeAdvisor’s production website, Dev/QA and corporate enterprise environments including installing, configuring, maintaining, patching both physical and virtual servers.
- Monitor, back-up, analyze, automate and troubleshoot server infrastructure. Recommend/ implement changes to improve reliability, resiliency, and performance.
- Planning, documenting and implementing periodic maintenance windows.
- Maintaining internal and external DNS, email and ftp services.
- Developing, maintaining and following the team’s online documentation including formal operations policies, processes and procedures.
- Manage asset management/inventory and spare parts for all server and network equipment.
- Participate in Tier 2 on-call rotation and respond to Tier 2 escalations (a week-long stint every 7 weeks) that may involve working outside normal business hours.
- Work closely with other departments and collaborate with other technical staff.
Experience and Competencies We’re Seeking:
- 3+ years of experience as a Linux System Administrator supporting Redhat/CentOS, which includes:
- 3+ years of experience with Linux scripting with UNIX shell, Perl, or Python.
- Firm understanding of Linux security including tools/features such as iptables, SELinux, tripwire, etc.
- Experience managing storage infrastructure, direct-attached, SAN or NAS.
- Experience with Nagios or some other monitoring software.
- 1+ year of experience supporting a VMWare ESXi virtualization environment.
- 1+ year of experience managing VMs in the AWS cloud.
- Must have knowledge of common networking protocols and services including DNS, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, NTP and SSL.
- Must be familiar with the Apache/Tomcat web stack.
- Familiarity with DevOps tools such as Git and Puppet. Past experience with Jenkins and/or Jira is a plus.
- Strong experience supporting customers with demonstrable customer support skills is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly of technical subjects, as well as impeccable listening skills.
- Must be able to work well within a team environment and able to adapt quickly to change.
- Good judgment and troubleshooting skills when dealing with production-impacting changes and problems including the ability to follow directions to the letter (and the wisdom to know when to throw the directions out the window).
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
HomeAdvisor aims to hire the best, but cannot provide work visa sponsorship at this time. All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship. If you’re interested in joining our team, apply today!
1 year: VMWare ESXi
Nagios or other monitoring software
Managing storage infrastructure
3 years: Linux scripting with UNIX shell, Perl, or Python
3 years: Linux - Redhat/CentOS
Meet Some of HomeAdvisor's Employees
Chief of Staff
Kelsey is in charge of keeping HomeAdvisor’s Denver office running like a well-oiled machine—overseeing daily operations, visitors, deliveries, budgets, and supplies—always working to support management and the sales representatives.
Back to top