We’re looking for a smart, motivated, and energetic Network Engineer to join our Systems and Network team. In this role, you’d be the network engineer responsible for traffic management for HomeAdvisor’s production website. Our website sees nearly 10 million unique visitors each month (and traffic is growing) and our enterprise network spans the country, so ensuring that our systems are reliable and scalable is of utmost importance. That makes the Network Engineer role critical to our business. You will be joining a team of seasoned pros who cover a wide spectrum of skills and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. While this role would primarily support (and work from) the Golden, CO Headquarters, you’d also provide remote support to our other offices, and may need to travel to our co-lo facility in Aurora, CO.
Who we are and what we do:
HomeAdvisor.com is the industry-leading online marketplace connecting homeowners to pre-screened home services professionals in their area. Since 1999, we’ve helped over 35 million homeowners complete their projects, and currently help more than 125,000 professionals find qualified leads for their business. With now nearly 2000 employees across 6 sites and a half-billion dollars in annual revenue, we’re one of Colorado’s biggest start-up success stories. Our Headquarters has been named one of Denver’s Top Workplaces for each of the last 4 years, and we’re widely known for a flexible, casual work environment focused on productivity and contribution.
- Responsible for external traffic management including CDN, external DDoS protection, multi-site traffic management and load balancing.
- Assist the other members of the Network team with designing, configuring and troubleshooting of all LAN and WAN networks, including wired, wireless, voice and data environments.
- Assist the other members of the Network team in managing firewall, VPN, load balancer and access management system rules.
- Assists the other members of the Network team with developing, monitoring, and implementing network security procedures for safeguarding all networking systems.
- Maintain documentation associated with all network equipment including IP address usage, device configurations, operating procedures, and service records.
- Participate in Tier 2 on-call rotation and respond to Tier 2 escalations (a week-long stint every 6 weeks) that may involve working outside normal business hours.
- Work closely with other departments and collaborate with other IT staff.
- 2 years experience working with application load balancers, firewalls and CDN/DDoS mitigation technologies.
- 2 years experience working in the design, configuration, installation, testing, and maintenance of local and wide area computer wired networks.
- Must be familiar with Juniper JunOS on current Juniper network products (EG: EX series switches, QFX switches, SRX firewalls, etc.)
- Network certification highly preferred (EG: JNCIS, CCNA, Network+, RHCE.)
- Must possess knowledge of common networking protocols and services including DNS, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, NTP and SSL.
- Familiarity with AWS infrastructure is a plus.
- Good judgment and troubleshooting skills when dealing with production-impacting changes and problems; the ability to follow directions to the letter (and the wisdom to know when to throw the directions out the window); and a cool head when things don’t go as planned.
- Disciplined approach to maintenance and upgrades – you need to be able to accurately document and execute any and all proposed changes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly of technical subjects, as well as impeccable listening skills.
- Must possess the ability to prioritize tasks in order of importance.
- Must possess the ability to both work independently and as a team member.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
HomeAdvisor aims to hire the best, but cannot provide work visa sponsorship at this time. All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship. If you’re interested in joining our team, apply today!
Meet Some of HomeAdvisor's Employees
Chief of Staff
Kelsey is in charge of keeping HomeAdvisor’s Denver office running like a well-oiled machine—overseeing daily operations, visitors, deliveries, budgets, and supplies—always working to support management and the sales representatives.
Back to top